Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

engine modifications

bruce

bonjour
my name is bruce i live in brittany i found this site whilst surfing for r4 info (great site). i have two r4's one of which i use dialey (rene) the other i have broken for parts. so i have a spare engine which i would like to modify and transplant into rene. can anyone advise me on engine mods .the engine is out of a 1989 rtl clan i'm not sure of the engine size as it is not recorded on the log book (cart grise). it would not be practical to put in a non standard engine as the french laws are very difficult to get around, so i was thinking on the lines of cam shaft ,cylinderhead ,valves, carbs any one got any thoughts.

bruce :lol:

the standard 1.4 engine from the older renault 5(mk1) looks from the outside almost the same..

or you can put an turbo on the 1100 engine, you would be the first but can be a lot of fun i think.

Replacing the camshaft, carburettor (and manifold as well) and distributor of this R4 1108cc engine with those fitted on the R5 mk1 makes for a 14 hp gain (R5 engines had 48 hp I think),and higher consumption,too. If you want to get more,you can have the camshaft re-profiled (maybe R5 TS or even R8-R10 had hotter camshafts ,I'm not sure, I guess,so you can fit one of these directly) and also fit a double-barrel carb,with a matching manifold (from a R5 TS,they are relatively easy to find).You can go further if you find the manifolds that allow you to install twin carbs (as fitted to R8s and 5 Alpine),then you can go really far...As fitting 1397 liners/pistons on this block is next to impossible, you can do another trick: find a good R5 TS/Alpine engine and fit the number plate from your engine,it is relatively easy and the blocks are nearly identical in appearance.

Back