Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Estafette and R5 madness

Stuart Delahoy

Enthusiast
Thought you might like to see these two new projects, one planned one not!
I bought the Est' before Christmas but it took until a couple of weeks ago to go and get it. Its always a gamble buying blind in deep rural France, but it turned out to be everthing I hoped for.
40,000 km totally original and no rust, just as I like them, expect to see it at some events this year.
Then no sooner had I got home when this super early 5 popped up on ebay, a few quick calls and a mad dash down to the coast and its mine. Again totally original low miles and two owners, the best part is the R4 style gear change and the colour!
Bit more of a project this one and will have to go into storage for now, next year I hope to see it on the road.
But sometings got to give so the GT Turbo and the 18 are going to be sold...

• hols 12 + cars 13 350.jpg
    hols 12 + cars 13 350.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 414
Well done Stuart, what a cracking Estafette that is, a rare find indeed. A trip to Thenay perhaps eh?:cool:

I like your choice of towing car ... although mine has to go tomorrow. Its sucessor is already in service as the main family car, but it hasn't got as much ... erm ... character? ... after the facelift. :rolleyes:

The 5L is great ... I like the early style dashboards with the umbrella shift.

Robert

• multipla r4.jpg
    multipla r4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 384
Nice pair!

I'd love an Estafette, it'd be a nice promotional thing for the business but realistically just wouldn't be strong enough for what we use our van for which is a pity.

When you come to sort the R5, I seem to remember that the rear wheel arch / quarter panel is a slightly different shape on the early Mk1s to the later Mk1s - something about the shape of the wheelarch 'lip' is different I think...

wow !!! Stuart what a brilliant find and looks in good nick to, are you going to use as a van or convert to a camper ? also like the R5.

Fantastic project.

I looked at getting an Estafette, but I think my wife would have divorced me. Acquiring the F4 was not popular at the time, and it's still waiting to be sign written. However she has to drive the F6 in Spain sometimes. I don't have a workshop now. Good Estafettes are going up in value in France, and I believe there is a"club" that rally the camper versions. Look forwards to seeing it on the road.

Thanks for the nice comments . . . I will be keeping it as a van with the minimum of restoration to keep it as original as poss.
The first challenge is sorting the auto choke on the carb, it ran in France fine but now it's back in blighty its having none of it!

Both look like fabulous finds. I wondered who had bought the 5 - the poor things are still much neglected but an orange one with the umbrella gear has to be the coolest car ever made.

Was tempted to ask about your Turbo but realise I use my Mk2 R5 as a wheelbarrow and it just passed it's MOT for another year. :D Would like to try a turbo one day.

So tempting. But I have no workshop at the moment. It's going to be 6-12 months until I have one which is already driving me mad.

Is it a nice GT Turbo?

Its a cracker! And I can wait!
It was on the road until about 18 months ago, few owners and low 70,000'ish miles, totally original and no rust. It just needs some mild recommisioning.
Its been in one of my lock ups but now has had to be relegated to the front garden which will do it no good at all.
I have not got my butt into gear to prep it and get it advertised, I think its the fear of the kind of muppets you tend to get answering ads for this kind of car.
I guess its value is about 2 grand as it is or 3/3.5 when its MOT'd and sorted.
The little orange 5 is very sound, the body is about the same as the green one you had off me, and its been off the road for about 12 years so the brakes/fuel/cooling systems need some love...

• renault 4 shoot nov 11 352.jpg
    renault 4 shoot nov 11 352.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168
The Estafette passed its MOT today!
Still runs a bit rough due to the strange auto choke and the brakes are, shall we say subject to a satellite delay...
Need to get some wheel cylinders and shoes sent over from France...
Can't wait to get out and about in it...
Stuart.

Back