Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ethanol-mixed petrol

Harry-R4-Brigitte

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
I've just read that petrol in the UK is now 5% ethanol starting this month. Is this safe to run the 1108cc engine on without damage? I'm hoping so, as I'm hardly in a financial position to be replacing every part, but would like to know the worst case scenario so as to keep my lovely R4 out of danger!
Many thanks

If left sitting ethanol can corrode your fuel tank and isn't good for metal fuel lines either so I use an all in one additive like this http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/vspe-power-plus-multishot/624 with octane booster, lead substitute and ethanol protection included.
I definitely suspect ethanol has already been in fuel for about 5-12 years and is only just now being labelled. 97 octane Texaco Super in my area still has 5% ethanol like 95 but more pure petrol to ethanol so I tend to fill with that.

Apparently E10 is on it's way so that is even more detrimental to old cars :(...

-

From the Esso Website:

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

Our Synergy Fuels:
  • Diesel
  • Supreme+ Diesel
  • Unleaded
  • Supreme+ Unleaded
Regardless I would still use the additive just incase it has not been labelled correctly or they are just lying, better to be safe than sorry. Wouldn't be a bad idea to leave as little fuel as possible in the tank when unused if you park up over winter.

If left sitting ethanol can corrode your fuel tank and isn't good for metal fuel lines either so I use an all in one additive like this http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/vspe-power-plus-multishot/624 with octane booster, lead substitute and ethanol protection included.
I definitely suspect ethanol has already been in fuel for about 5-12 years and is only just now being labelled. 97 octane Texaco Super in my area still has 5% ethanol like 95 but more pure petrol to ethanol so I tend to fill with that.

Apparently E10 is on it's way so that is even more detrimental to old cars :(...

-

From the Esso Website:

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

Our Synergy Fuels:
  • Diesel
  • Supreme+ Diesel
  • Unleaded
  • Supreme+ Unleaded
Regardless I would still use the additive just incase it has not been labelled correctly or they are just lying, better to be safe than sorry. Wouldn't be a bad idea to leave as little fuel as possible in the tank when unused if you park up over winter.

Well since I use the R4 as my daily runabout and only vehicle it won't be left sitting but thank you for the advice... I'll do my research! :)

I assume even new cars use metal fuel tanks and lines so I can't understand why they would add a metal-corrosive element to fuel!! It's a crazy move to make in the name of the environment if the side effect is thousands of scrapped cars!

Super or 99 ron fuel seems to have less ethanol in it, so might be better for older cars and lawnmowers etc.

Well since I use the R4 as my daily runabout and only vehicle it won't be left sitting but thank you for the advice... I'll do my research! :)

I assume even new cars use metal fuel tanks and lines so I can't understand why they would add a metal-corrosive element to fuel!! It's a crazy move to make in the name of the environment if the side effect is thousands of scrapped cars!
A lot of modern cars have plastic fuel tanks and fuel pipes, plus synthetic rubbers that tolerate ethanol mixes.

Back