Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Exhaust Manifold

Bajababy

Enthusiast
Hi everyone and happy new year..

Unfortunatly the two studs that connect the exhaust to the manifold have sheared off on my car so if anyone out there has a manifold knocking about I'd love to hear from you. My car is an 1984 gtl 1108cc

I also have two parts of the exhaust that I no longer require, the small front piece (Renault) and the second part (Timax) that goes through the front wing. Both parts are from my gtl 1984 and have done only 500 miles.

In a perfect world a swap would be cool but this is Renault 4 land so perfection rarely shows it's face...

Many thanks and hope to put names to faces in France this year.

Tone

ps. Just returned from Morocco where the R4 lives on a plenty..

Hello Tone,

No need for a new manifold as the studs can be replaced. It's easier if there is something for pliers or grips to grip on to, as the area where the stud screws in needs to be heated up to cherry red and then they should come out. You can also use stud extractors it the studs have broken off flush with the flange, but heat will still be needed. Once the studs are out then run a tap into the thread to clean it up before inserting the new stud.

I have done this job many times, but if you don't have the equipment then entrust it to an expert!

Best wishes

Steve

Cheers steve. The bad news is that we tried to do the job with a stud extractor and plenty of heat but the actual threaded hub snapped clean off the manifold..can this be welded back on??

Drill out the remaing threads & helicoil them, thats what i do

Back