Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F4 fuel problem

Bandido

Enthusiast
Guys - looking for a bit of expert advice here!

My R4F4 would not start (after a summer of very reliable motoring) and after a some messing with quick start it was clear that there was no fuel in the filter so was never going to start. I called the men in yellow who diagnosed a dead fuel pump as no fuel was being pumped out of the outlet pump. I replaced the pump with a new one and still no fuel appears in the filter bulb and no starting. I have primed the pump and even blown down the filler to encourage the fuel into the carb and all I got was a nose full of fuel when the tank blew back!

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next - other than taking it to a professional!!

thanks in advance.

Could the tank-to-pump pipe be blocked? I only ask because I once had a similar problem with an R5 that wouldn't start after a long layup. The pump was full of rusty bits from the bottom of the tank, and I had to use a foot pump on the fuel pump inlet pipe to clear the pipe to the tank (after removing the filler cap). Once I'd done that (and fitted a new fuel pump), the car started, but I had to repeat the unblocking process a number of times before all the rubbish from the tank had come through.

Depending on the amount of fuel in the tank this might be a staring point: Undo the petrol tank filler cap and and disconnect the fuel line inn the engine compartment. Connect a spare CLEAN piece of rubber tubing to the fuel line and blow down it. You should be able to blow air through the pipe, bubbling into the petrol & hear it at the filler. If you can't something's blocked, and it's probably the pipe itself. Try this first & report back....

Could the tank-to-pump pipe be blocked? I only ask because I once had a similar problem with an R5 that wouldn't start after a long layup. The pump was full of rusty bits from the bottom of the tank, and I had to use a foot pump on the fuel pump inlet pipe to clear the pipe to the tank (after removing the filler cap). Once I'd done that (and fitted a new fuel pump), the car started, but I had to repeat the unblocking process a number of times before all the rubbish from the tank had come through.
`

thanks I will revert!

Could it be the sender unit in the top of the fuel tank. They can stop working. Cheap to get the unit, but a bit of a hassle getting the tank out to replace it. Mind you , I did it with no jack or wheel ramps, just crawling underneath. So if you have wheel ramps or a lift, should not be too bad.

Could it be the sender unit in the top of the fuel tank. They can stop working. Cheap to get the unit, but a bit of a hassle getting the tank out to replace it. Mind you , I did it with no jack or wheel ramps, just crawling underneath. So if you have wheel ramps or a lift, should not be too bad.
Ah - the fuel gauge does not seem to be moving either so that might tie in. How does the sender unit effect the flow?

If the sender does not work, the fuel gauge does not work. I have the problem on one of my cars, I have to monitor how many miles I have done and top up all the time. One day I will get the tank out and replace the sender. having done it once, I am not looking forward to it.

The sender only works the fuel gauge and has nothing to do with the delivery of fuel to the pump, therefore if you are sure there is fuel in the tank without relying on the gauge the fuel sender is not your problem. Far more likely that the cause is rust or muck blocking the fuel line. Blow it clear and add a new filter and you may get lucky but you may have to clean and flush the tank possibly even sealing it, if it keeps happening.

Have found that the Ethanol now added to fuel does create gel which clogs stuff up. I second ecurb.renots above.

There is a filter on the base of the fuel sender unit as the pickup is through this unit these definitely clog up accessing it will mean removing tank
I had the embarrassment of this happening on the very first Kent run in the yellow peril
Temporary cure was blowing hard down the feed pipe under the bonnet after pulling it off fuel pump
This may work temporarily to get you mobile
The free f4 van I sorted recently had same issue and I had to completely clean and reveal tank to prevent further problems

All - taking everyones advice we dropped the tank out and sure enough the sender was not that special and definitely the original! It worked slightly better with a separate earth though. I ordered a new pump and sender from Franzoe, changed both and it now runs like a dream. Interesting the replacement sender now comes with a separate earth.

thanks for the advice.

Back