Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F6 gearbox, or pieces

laxeian

Enthusiast
As can be seen on my project thread have changed my original F6 for one from a 4GTL, so have a good working lowish Km (under 90kkm) F6 gear box that will be advertised here on the spanish sites this week. I have fitted a new speedo drive gear in this box during my ownership which was not easy to source, which I can remove from box itself if any members here are interested in this or the complete gearbox ( speedo gear is obviously an easily posted jiffy bag item). If needed/interested please message via forum.

My speedometer is not working on my F6?
I have replaced the speedo head and the cable seems okay!
Is the gearbox speedo drive a common fault?
Is it easy to replace?
Cheers Mike

61354C03-0B94-4204-8ECD-63D5E19DBA41.jpeg

It seems quite common for the speedo drive gear to fail on 4s/f4/f6, they are a plastic cog on a metal spindle, so its probably an age related thing. They can be changed with the gearbox in situ in the car/van, basically support the gearbox with jack after taking of plate between chassis rails, (10mm spanner), take load off of gearbox mounts with jack, remove speedo cable, remove 4 mount bolts (13mm), remove mount bolts from gear box, (13mm), then remove front plate from gearbox, more 13mm, carefully prize plate off, your trying to save gasket unless you have one spare or ordered, iirc there is one shim that comes out with plate but its easy as it can only go back one place when you refit, the drive is in the white plastic plug thats in the front cover that the speedo cable goes in,remove plug, change drive, refit as it came off and youshould be all good. Do check your gearbox is the same HAO 96 (should have a disc under one of bolts on top plate of gearbox) as these cogs came with various teeth to suit gearboxes, heres two photos of my box out, one showing disc and other showing front plate. You don't have to drain oil to do this.E72C854F-66C8-4624-A745-C267766BCC52.jpeg910EB6F0-2645-4828-B5AE-0A2C0A3F63A1.jpeg

Hello
Is this the g/box from a F6 with a cleon engine ? My g box is h a o 163 , the drive is pale blue with 19 teeth , i am after a replacement
Dont know if you can help
many thanks .
Nigel

Yes it is a gearbox from an 1985 (fasa) F6 with a cleon engine, the cog is a pale blue with 19 teeth, just looking at old ITV’s it has been in van from new (genuine Renault part from DKS) for approx 8000kms, black mark on cog is just indebible pen mark to count teeth, the plug is gearboxes original.image.jpgimage.jpg

€40 plus post, was going to just use normal or registered post in a jiffy bag, there not big, can do this from local post office as currently carless, nearest parcel post office is 10km away, I am in Northern Spain.

Back