Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fetching R4 From France to UK

Hello,
I wonder if anyone could help please.
I maybe fetching a car from France and driving it back here to the UK. What do you do about insurance for that journey?

Thank you.

On this forum this line is many many times written "Speak to Brian Whiteside at Renault classic car club about all aspects of importing a car. He knows all the wrinkles."

Speaking to Brian is good advice as he has imported a few although he does own a car transporter so doesn't need to drive them back.

That said, insurance is very difficult - I tried to do it a couple of years ago and its near impossible. Very few insurance companies will even entertain the idea of insuring a UK resident / licence holder driving a French registered car that they own, in France.
Once you get back to the UK several will insure it against the chassis number for the purposes of driving port of entry > MOT test. Realistically, its far easier to bring one in on a trailer / transporter although does obviously cost more. I spent a very, very long time speaking to companies when I tried to do it, all to no avail.

Don't forget you need a customs agent to handle the paperwork these days as well.

Back