Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally got to Spain

Mike from Spain

Enthusiast
Hola everyone! Well I'm here in Sunny Spain at last with the "purple peril". It was the worst journey I've made in my life. Started Wenesday afternoon (18th Jan) and arrived 6 am Saturday (21st) morning. We had hardly any sleep due to giving up our bed space for "stuff"; you really don't know what you've got 'til you try to load it into a Transit! so ended up cat napping and doing it virtually none stop. Only just getting over it now! Why not stop over in a hotel you might ask; well hotels don't take kindly to animals and we had Brian, our cat and Truff our dog with us.
The Transit never missed a beat and I didn't know the little R4 was behind; in fact I kept checking! The only down side apart from sleep deprivation was the French police at Biaritz. They pulled us over at the payage (the last in France) and added the weight of the Renault to the weight of the van and then charged us €90 for being overwieght! He just kept saying "money, money". So I'm sorry to say all you French people out there that at least one of your policemen put you in the position of rudest, coldest police ever encountered by me!
Anyway, we're here now. I tried to attach a couple of photos of the "purple peril" when it was still attached to the van but they were too big and I don't know how to reduce them! I'll try again soon. I've since give it a good service, I've connected the radiator fan up to the heated rear screen switch until I get a new radiator switch and have been bombing up and down the mountain track for the last few days! It was built for the job!
Anyway, the sun has just dropped behind the mountain so it's time for a cerveisa or two! Hasta luego mi amigos!

A new life in Spain sounds soooooo tempting. You'll be pleased to know the trip was worth it and it's cold back here in Blighty (although not damp for a change).

Email the photos to me and I'll put them up. They'll be fun to see. Some more later - off to the pub where it's warm. :eek:

Last edited:
Here are the photos - the attachment size limit was set a little low.

• R4 and Transit rear view.JPG
    R4 and Transit rear view.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 172
  • R4 and Transit side view.JPG
    R4 and Transit side view.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 145
Congratulations

Hi Mike, Well you certainly havn't missed the weather in North Wales, Its still cold, wet and muddy. Great to hear that the purple peril is enjoying the mountain tracks, and with a new sister too, I felt sorry for her taking Fifi away and leaving her all alone.
Anyway, Fifi is doing well, With the tax running out, I decided that now was the time to give her the full monty. So she has benefited from some new inner wing tops, new front wings, brakes and many other new bits. Renault still sell them and they are dirt cheap. She starts on the button, irrespective of the bad weather, and purrs like a watch. The missus has given her full approval, so thats a real bonus.
In short, everybody loves her. Anyway, keep an eye on the new pics, as I will attempt to update them regularly. Hope you don't miss her too much, Oh, She has a 1983 R5 Gordini Turbo to keep her company now too!!!!!!
All the best and keep in touch, Chris

Back