Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

fit coilovers ?

I also had to google the term.
I guess it must be "adjustable suspension".

BUT, as the suspension of our R4s already is adjustable what sense would it make to install coilovers? :confused:
And where would you get them?

I know there are some front shocks availlable that comes with additional springs but I only saw these kind of shocks on the rallye R4s to gain ride height.
The sense of adjustable suspension is contrary to that -- to lower the car as far as possible. :confused:

David

P.S.
Here's a pic of the spring reinforced front shocks.
(Availlable on eBay France for 230 Euro.) :shock:

• Damper.jpg
    Damper.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 114
Coilovers

I had some Bilstein coilover shocks on my MK1 Renault 5. The firmer springs do help control body roll and sharpen the steering, but my panel beater noticed cracking through the body. Remember that the R5 is a monocoque and not a platform chassis. I would be hesitant about using coilovers on a R4 and I would suggest thicker (and a rear) anti-roll bar if body roll is the main concern.

Too much stiffness in the "bump" will upset the cushion-like damping of the R4 for which it is renowned. Most of the suspension control comes through the firm "rebound" of the dampers. It is a typically French ride quality built into their cars to deal with cobblestones in urban areas and the lack of proper roads in North Africa where most of the French colonies were located.

David

Back