Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

floor pan replacement

mojobaby

Enthusiast
I did a quick search to see if i could find a thread about floor pan replacement but couldn't find anything. A lot of posts mention replacing the floor pans but I wish there were step by step instructions I could follow.

A lot of people have written about their rusty floors and in fact a few weeks ago I inquired about welding rusty floor pans. My hole is still there and not getting any smaller. I've got to get it sorted before winter starts!

I've made numerous enquiries about a MIG welder. There's been a lot of negative reports about cheap welders; they seem to break really easily. I still want to buy one but at this stage I don't want to spend 300 Euro's (or more)
Today I got a quote from a panel beater to cut out the rust area and weld in a plate and that was 200Euro per side.

I've just been on der Franzose website and their floor pans are 139Euro and I'm thinking perhaps that's the way to go.
Is this going to be a huge job?

"floor panel inner side front, in front of cross bar, Renault R4, with swages replacement for defective panel (sheet metal)"

can anyone tell me what a swage is?

A swage is the indentations on the floor pan to make it stronger and to stop vibration.
Melun Retro actually make the complete floor pans as original and also repair panels.
If you are a good welder it is relatively easy to do ,but you need a good gas mig , or ocye acetelen plus spot weld drills .It depends on how bad your floor is wether to repair or replace,and i supose how much money you have,as welding cars is expensive in France,as it is not done much here.

not correct jonigel ! a 'swage' is the profile you form in a sheet of steel to enable you weld it into an existing panel and land up with a flat surface. whilst I'm bothering to write something on the forum could people PLEASE note that quatrelle IS the correct abreviation and NOT with a K !!! sorry but just annoying...

not correct jonigel ! a 'swage' is the profile you form in a sheet of steel to enable you weld it into an existing panel and land up with a flat surface. whilst I'm bothering to write something on the forum could people PLEASE note that quatrelle IS the correct abreviation and NOT with a K !!! sorry but just annoying...

Actually jonigel is right. A swage is a form of strengthening in a body panel as he says, which is often to be seen along the waistline of a car body and is not just for gaining strength but also to give the body it's styling. What you are thinking of is made with a tool called a joddling tool and this forms a step on the edge of the metal plate. As for the K, not everyone has a good knowledge of the French language, some of us just get by. I learnt my French by watching the BBC comedy show "Allo Allo":D

If you're after Information about buying a welder, then I would like to point out that Malcolm the owner of this site also runs the biggest welding forum in the UK too!
I'm on my phone tonight so can't be fagged to try copying and pasting web addresses, do a google search for welding forums and you'll come across it. There's loads of useful advice on buying a welder on that site!

Note: their is the potential for confusion here - we are talking abot the floor plan which is the sheet of metal at the base of the chassis rather than the whole chassis itself. (Although the chassis is sometimes called a floorpan)

You can just replace the affected corner as I am doing of the floor - this saves removing the whole floor which I would argue requires a jig as their would be little strength left ! Anyone else got any thoughts ?

Thanks for all your replies!
To be honest, I thought that replacing floors didn't need welding, that's why I considered the option. I was under the impression that it was fitted using that thick black adhesive.

I don't know how to weld and I suppose I've just been avoiding the inevitable, so I'm just going to have to learn. The only mig welder that I've seen in town is one by FAR tools for 300Euro.

I've taken a photo so you can see what I'm dealing with. There's a big hole and then some little holes as well. I didn't even know it was rusty until my foot went through.
Would appreciation any suggestions.

Thanks, I will check on Malcolm's forum

• DSCF6285.JPG
    DSCF6285.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
You need to get the car up in the air and have a good look underneath and a probe around with a screwdriver. Repair is quite straightforwards if the hole is just in the floor itself, but if it extends under the side members, or into the toeboard area, then you need to review whether it can be properly repaired without a body off job.
I think that description 'with swages', probably just means that it has the same pressings in it as the original floor.

Bear in mind also that the fuel line runs down the side member, before you starting sparking up your mig in that area.

Regarding the last photo I did read somewhere that this floor area isn't classed as structural so virtually any repair that stops your feet falling through is ok . Now as far as the "swages" or what ever are concerned I have seen floor repair panels on the internet that are just flat with no shaping so they literally slot into place but no mention of how they are fixed because it says easy fix . Can any slot in floor panel be pop riveted in and then underneath just be under sealed .
r__parationplancher4l.jpg

Hi Bigoldboy
If you're interested in how I eventually fixed it, here's the link. The repair is over 5 years old now and still perfect and strong.
In answer to your question, personally I would say that if the rust is chemically treated and sealed then you could use pop rivets and seal the underneath. Possibly, it's only a temporary solution like mine, but if it lasts for many years I think thats ok.

I know that a lot of people will have a difference of opinion but then perhaps they are more qualified to do a better repair

Hi Bigoldboy
If you're interested in how I eventually fixed it, here's the link. The repair is over 5 years old now and still perfect and strong.
In answer to your question, personally I would say that if the rust is chemically treated and sealed then you could use pop rivets and seal the underneath. Possibly, it's only a temporary solution like mine, but if it lasts for many years I think thats ok.

I know that a lot of people will have a difference of opinion but then perhaps they are more qualified to do a better repair

Thanks mojobaby . The big question now for me is will the car pass it's vehicle inspection test (MOT/ITV) with that kind of repair . I am living in Spain right now and the test is the ITV do you think it's going to be good enough and I don't mean strong enough because I'm sure it is . I have several ideas as to how I can repair the floor but I don't have a MIG welder which most people suggest I use to put some metal in .
Where do you live and has the car gone through it's test a couple of times .
Regards

I live in France, and as you know the whole of Europe has become very strict lately. Last year I was failed because I had a tear in my seat cover. My car has had at least 3 MOT/CT tests since I did the repair to the floor and it's passed each time.

I smoothed off the sealant underneath really well so the repair is hardly noticeable.

I think a welded panel is definitely better and more professional and I even bought a Mig welder but I seem to burn holes in the metal all the time, so I'm a pretty useless welder. Maybe one day I'll get the knack of it:)

Back