Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Floor pan welding.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. Any recommendations on someone to do the welding of two front footwell replacements north of Birmingham? Car does not work, and brakes not working. Hand brake works.

Take in account that a cheap flux welder costs about 200 euros, and with a bit of practice patching a floor pan is not that difficult.
Just my two cents, if it is difficult to find a man and move the car...

Hi Azazello. Thanks for your 2 cents worth. I have looked and i can get one for 100 to 150£. How easy is it to do? I can practice on some bits , yes. The weld is under the carpet so does not HAVE to be perfectly beautiful. But I would be happier if it looks competent. I am dextrous. I can see welding from the top is possible. I think welding from below may be very difficult - don't have a lift or a pit. Can I stand in the car as I weld it, is there any possibility of getting a shock, because there is an earth clamp on the car. If you can give me some pointers I may get the confidence to give it ago.

Well, I get your point; I was working with the car completely dismantled, so the chassis was lifted on his rotissoire. It mad my life a lot easier.
What do you mean by "earth clamp"? You fear that lifting the car with a metal support it will lose isolation from the ground and play some bad electric joke? never tought about this opportunity, but I think that a piece of wood between chassis and jack will do the job...

If the shortest (Read easyest) way for the current is to flow from clamp to torch there is nothing to worry about. Maybe if you weld whilst standing in water and with the welding machine in the same puddle. It could itch a litlle.
Normally a fuse wil blow.

Just disconnect your car battery and give it a go.

Back