Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French heritage

Bluebell

Enthusiast
Hi folks, just back from sunny France. One of our old French neighbours in the village has this wonderful Renault. Can anybody identify it?

• 2007_1109nov07France0103.jpg
    2007_1109nov07France0103.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 108
Yes, spot on! Isn't she a beauty! I think the old chap said 1957 although I must have been away when they did numbers in French lessons. He also has a varied selection of other old Renaults. Not many R4s around there though, so we'll double the tally when we take Blanche and Claude over. :)

• 2007_1109nov07France0102.jpg
    2007_1109nov07France0102.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 102
Looks very nicely restored and looked after (no way is that original so someone has put a lot of time into getting the car so nice). I think you'll be sharing your villiage with another keen Renault enthusiast.

...And I thought it was a Twingo...

..Bluebelle, what about a pic of Blanche in front of your new Chateau?

Anyway lets all vote on which we would prefer - the 4CV or this 1957 Morris Oxford - At least you can get a full sized bath in the Oxford boot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
...Entente cordiale or Serendipity..

..Do you all remember the Morris Oxford above?... well as you can NOW see she was at the time busy being busy with her old chum Margery Morris somewhere in Middle England.. well her cousin Milly Morris has far more ambitious ideas and has been caught with a Frenchman - mind you she is a bit older and wiser!

Just like me I suppose - Fed up with buying Castles, I have just put an offer in on this place which includes an odd named pub!!

• Stanbury 1.jpg
    Stanbury 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN2884 1.jpg
    DSCN2884 1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 103
Wow! Fancy buying a whole village, Lord Stanbury. If we had known you were coming up to sunny Yorkshire we would not have disappeared off to foreign parts and rolled out the red carpet instead.

Would not be much later than 57 because of the wheels - the later ones had one piece wheels - Pat's is a 57 model and its got the same wheels as this one - there where some raised eyebrows in the local tyre place when we were living in England and I asked if there was any possibility of balancing the wheel! We managed to pick up a roof rack at the local vide grenier (car boot sale) for 20 euros for ours last Sept - one of the few that looks good with a roof rack me thinks.

Yes, it must be early 1957 as they were changed to normal 3-stud ones in July 1957.

It's good to see these 4cv piccies, I've just picked one up off e bay and know very little about them. Mine a '56 with those wheels, it was blue but hand painted yellow, then half the yellow paint fell off due to not being prepared properly!
I would be interested to know of any scources for parts for one of these, although mine is mostly complete I am still in the process of stripping down to see what needs doing.

Have a look at www.renaultclassiccarclub.com - Robin Redrup the 4cv man is a great enthusiast, well worth making yourself known to him, he orders parts from France regularly, and knows most of the sources for stuff - we get most of ours at the Bourse d'echange's (autojumbles).

..Here are a couple of nice ones...

Moaning Great Uncle

For your interest, I have noticed that on french ebay there are quite a few 4 cv spares so keep your eye on it!!

Here are a couple of nice ones, one of which amazingly enough has an early picture of Bluebell in it!!

..Very suspicious indeed..

Well ask him who does he think YOU are dancing with here in 1957..Could it be John Lennon, Billy Fury or even Adam Faith per chance?

I will give you a clue Chris...'Poetry in Motion'

Back