Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

French Scrapyard

french connection

Enthusiast
This may be of interest. We found what has been described as the best scrapyard ( Casse) in the Gers region ( Dept 32 ). They sell new and the obvious secondhand stuff. Idea of prices ( all in euros ) Oil filter 7.81 Air Filter 16.10 Sump plug removal tool 8.00 ( all new stuff is plus TVA @ 19.6%. Secondhand stuff Headlight 16 , wheel and tyre 8 seat 30. The yard is situated outside the village of Gimont ( 32200 ) Local tel number 0562677407 Fax 0562678118. The people speak NO English but are willing to help if you try. We managed and our French is average ( I took my daughter with me who takes French at school). While in France, we changed the oil, filters and plugs on Molly our newly aquired R4 and got the new number plates put on at the local Garage ( you have to change plates if, like us , you bought the car from another region ). I got the garage to check the wheel bearings and they confirmed both gone. They also found the steering rack was worn ( not good for a car that passed the MOT the day before we bought it ! ). Anyway, bit the bullet and booked Molly in for when we are next in France in March to have all the work done. One thing we have noticed is a creaking noise from the rear suspension. Is this normal ?. We did find that someone had sprayed quick setting foam into the box section piece where the suspension arms meet the chassis. No idea why other than perhaps to stop the creaking. Any thoughts welcome. Will post some pictures of Molly when we sort out the camera. Best wishes Sally and Ed

If it's a GTL then the quick setting foam in the outer suspension mountings could well have been done by the factory. My '83 car had foam in there to (badly) block the holes in the rear of the chassis member, and I've seen it on other cars of the same era.

Mind not on track tonight to figure out the creaking. Though I'm sure I've had that before and it's not been all that serious. Most likely rear wheel bearings.

Many thanks for your comments. Molly is a TL. Will check out if there are any holes that were being covered by the foam and whether or not its the rear wheel bearings when we are next in France. By the way if anyone hears of a R4 in our area in France ( Dept 32 Gers) being sold for spares, please let us know as it would be good to get another for spares while we can as we plan on keeping ours for a while. Many thanks Sally and Ed

I havve a Spanish 1990 Clan, and I wondered why I had builders foam in the arms, now I know!!

Back