Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front and middle exhaust parts needed R4 GTL

Blaukslia

Enthusiast
Hello there! Can anyone direct me towards these parts or offer advice? Sleeving is an option as the problem is where the two parts meet. Many thanks

Hi
Is your R4 a late TL (112C on the oval plate under the bonnet)?
Does your system look like this?
GTL exhaust system.jpg

Hi
Is your R4 a late TL (112C on the oval plate under the bonnet)?
Does your system look like this?
View attachment 29300
Apologies for being so sloooow to get back to you_this does very much look like the exhaust system under my car, and the number on the oval plate is 1123, the number 3 could correspond to the third letter 'c' in the alphabet as the car was fabricated in Poland. It'd be a huge help if you tell me their significance. I now need all 4 parts of the exhaust (I had it sleeved last November). Thank you for your patience, kind wishes, Julia

Apologies for being so sloooow to get back to you_this does very much look like the exhaust system under my car, and the number on the oval plate is 1123, the number 3 could correspond to the third letter 'c' in the alphabet as the car was fabricated in Poland. It'd be a huge help if you tell me their significance. I now need all 4 parts of the exhaust (I had it sleeved last November). Thank you for your patience, kind wishes, Julia
Hi Julia
The fact that it's an R1123 makes it difficult to be sure which system the car has. It'd be helpful to know what type of engine you have - there's a plate on the right-hand side of the engine, just above the oil filter. Some underbonnet photos would be great too!
You mention a clip between the manifold and the first pipe - this made me think your car might have an 845cc engine. Does the clip look like this?

Hi Julia
The fact that it's an R1123 makes it difficult to be sure which system the car has. It'd be helpful to know what type of engine you have - there's a plate on the right-hand side of the engine, just above the oil filter. Some underbonnet photos would be great too!
You mention a clip between the manifold and the first pipe - this made me think your car might have an 845cc engine. Does the clip look like this?

No, it's like a giant jubilee clip ( could it be improvised ?), here is a photo.
It is also possible the chassis/body/ engine are not original.
I imported the car and the V5C states 1108.
Thank you for replying, I have lots of questions, for example is part 7700578443, also known, I believe, as 6208453, correct?
I've also previously owned both an 850 and 1108, and this does, to me, feel like the latter.
Am invaluably grateful for your communication

20220529_104454.jpg 20220529_104438.jpg

Thanks for the photos.
Which bits of the system do you need?
To complicate things, there are two different systems - although both have the same first pipe (the one that connects to the manifold - 5 in the diagram below) and silencer.
The part numbers are:

GTL exhaust system (1).jpg
5: 7700578443
6: 7700657468
7: 7701365697
8: 7700859523
This is the system that the parts book gives for cars with engines like yours up to 1985ish; the later system has different numbers for pipes 6 and 7:
6: 7700757174
7: 7700757178
I can't be sure which system your car has.
The long pipes are getting hard to find in the UK. The easiest - but most expensive - way would be to order a complete system from, say, Der Franzose, but you might find the pipes on eBay. You just have to make sure that pipes 6&7 are the right ones, and that, ideally, they're made by the same manufacturer.
I can help with pipe 5, if it helps:
The clamp you mention is easy to find a replacement for - most people use U-clamps, which are widely available (try eBay).

Thanks for the photos.
Which bits of the system do you need?
To complicate things, there are two different systems - although both have the same first pipe (the one that connects to the manifold - 5 in the diagram below) and silencer.
The part numbers are:

View attachment 30504
5: 7700578443
6: 7700657468
7: 7701365697
8: 7700859523
This is the system that the parts book gives for cars with engines like yours up to 1985ish; the later system has different numbers for pipes 6 and 7:
6: 7700757174
7: 7700757178
I can't be sure which system your car has.
The long pipes are getting hard to find in the UK. The easiest - but most expensive - way would be to order a complete system from, say, Der Franzose, but you might find the pipes on eBay. You just have to make sure that pipes 6&7 are the right ones, and that, ideally, they're made by the same manufacturer.
I can help with pipe 5, if it helps:
The clamp you mention is easy to find a replacement for - most people use U-clamps, which are widely available (try eBay).
Ah, glad thanks for your time and help, Andy

Yes, I would like the first part of the pipe you are selling. I am jn Stroud, so, if if you're willing I could drive over to Cheltenham and collect it when I return home from working, 8 th June, and you could see the engine, in person?
The images of the pipe you've supplied look very like those on my car.

I've been looking online and there are different manufacturers, Bosal , Faurecia, Walker doesn't seem to be rated, Dacia, can you recommend?

It seems parts 6and 7 can have the curved end on the long pipe or the wiggly one, but not both or either

What is part 12 called?

Thanks again, Blauslia

Ah, glad thanks for your time and help, Andy

Yes, I would like the first part of the pipe you are selling. I am jn Stroud, so, if if you're willing I could drive over to Cheltenham and collect it when I return home from working, 8 th June, and you could see the engine, in person?
The images of the pipe you've supplied look very like those on my car.

I've been looking online and there are different manufacturers, Bosal , Faurecia, Walker doesn't seem to be rated, Dacia, can you recommend?

It seems parts 6and 7 can have the curved end on the long pipe or the wiggly one, but not both or either

What is part 12 called?

Thanks again, Blauslia
11 and 12 on the diagram just refer to pipe diameter: 11= 45; 12 = 36.
Bosal pipes and silencers are really good quality (the Bosal number for the rear silencer is 200-925).
I'll drop you a pm with my mobile - I should be home on the 8th.

11 and 12 on the diagram just refer to pipe diameter: 11= 45; 12 = 36.
Bosal pipes and silencers are really good quality (the Bosal number for the rear silencer is 200-925).
I'll drop you a pm with my mobile - I should be home on the 8th.
Most appreciated, Andy, it's already much clearer after pouring over pages and pages of diagrams and data without really knowing what is needed

There are other questions_in the link you sent me for the 58mm clip, is this the inner diameter or outer diameter or does it extend to the total width accommodating bolt holes?
Is it easy to navigate receiving a pm on this forum?
I don't have the V5C here with me .

Julia
You're welcome!
The link I sent you was to help in identifying your engine - that clip is for the small, 'Billancourt' engines - not suitable for your car. Your engine is a 'big' Cléon engine - on these engines, the first pipe is connected to the manifold with a captive clamp that fits over the manifold studs. This should look familiar:
20220527_131021.jpg
You should be able to reuse the clamp - once the 'S' pipe is removed, the clamp will slide off the end of the first pipe.
The fact that the number on your oval plate is R1123 is potentially confusing - you'll end up with the wrong parts if you go on that number when you search for parts. Most cars with an 1108cc engine will have R1128 on the oval plate (GTL).
This might be helpful:
End silencer available here:
Will pm you my number.

Back