Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

front brake shoes

billythefish

Enthusiast
I seem to be having a little trouble finding a supplier of front brake shoes for my 1971 R4 estate the ones I took of are pretty shot and the measurements are leading length 234mm x trailing length 183mm.
I have tried most of the bigger brake firms and a few local firms who can only get the 200mm length by 36mm width,are these suitable or not?
I could also do with a couple of brake hoses at the front, what are the size and type of connection to these.
thanks in advance
billy

Ask around and see if you can find a local company that will reline the old shoes, often a lot cheaper than buying new ones. A local hydraulic hose supplier will be able to make new flexibles. The hose supplier might be able to tell you where to find the brake shoe supplier!

....or go to a local motor factor who deals with Quinton Hazel parts and ask if BFH 4217 front brake hoses are still available.

Your front brake shoes are Quinton Hazel BS553 for the 8" diameter drums and BS670 for the 9" diameter.

Thanks Steve,
I've been down with swine flu these last few days and when I phoned the hot line all I could hear was crackling.
billy

Hi Steve,
I just logged on to www.qh.com and downloaded the Quinton Hazell Q-Pod, where you can get a list of parts for Renault4 and other cars, they do have the front brake hoses and several other items of use but there was no prices given, so I will phone up on Monday.
once again thanks.

It's a good website and if all those with parts enquries did some research they would be able to identify and cross reference part numbers. Have you seen the QPID-Live site as well - you can download it from Quinton Hazel? There will no prices given as QH sells direct to motor factors so you will need to find a local friendly QH dealer. The QH dealer in my town is so miserable he won't even consider ordering or finding out the availability of a part despite giving him all the information.

Another good site to visit is Standard Motors - they deal in all Intermotor ignition parts and thier part number cross reference is excellent

Hi Steve,
Yes I did download the QPID-Live site and it's pretty good, apart from there is no price guide as you said, but at least thanks to you and people like Malcolm, Angel and PaulandPat,we are beginning to exchange information on where and how to get the parts we need to keep going.
I hope other people will begin to come out of the wood work and make this site even better than it is...here's hoping.
billy

we are beginning to exchange information on where and how to get the parts we need to keep going.

This is a big issue since a lot of R4 mechanical parts are listed on "universal" manufacturers' catalogs (like Valeo, QH etc) but we cannot confirm if they are actually on stock / production, and where we can buy them.

The local spares shop in Brigg called Auto Extras has managed to get me the front brake shoes,( Delphi-lockheed ) plus oil filter and light bulbs, plus other bits and bobs at a reasonable price, he sources them through one of his suppliers called Page, so all in all not so bad as I thought for sourcing parts.
billy

Back