Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel and additives

SJC400

Enthusiast
Guys, some of you must have researched what to do with running E10 fuel in the R4's standard engine, so please can someone enlighten me whcih way to go with this? Originally it was just a lead free additive, now with the new E10 fuel, do you still use the lead additive and a supplement for E10, or just the E10 additive???
Thanks, Steve

I run a classic Daf 33 and have been running on E5 since the change. The advantage has been that the car was originally designed to run on 91 octane (2 star on old money) and if it is running on a higher octane fuel the ignition can be advanced to give the engine more power. I've done this, by advancing the ignition 2 degrees and the car is more "perky" as a result. I'm definitely noticing the car has more power & I'm probably not using any more fuel than I was using E10!

As regards E10 vs E5, the fuel lines are the important factor. A decent motor factor should be able to advise you as to how you ought to proceed, but if it hawks, my plan is to replace all my rubber fuel lines in a few months, but in the meantime I'm happy to use E5 ("premium") unleaded.

If you can get hold of Esso 99 Supreme, go for that. It says E5 on the pump but in fact does not contain any ethanol in it - the label is to say it may contain up to 5% ethanol even tho it is E free. With the Esso fuel i've noticed a difference in warm up times and hot idling so it does improve things.

I jave seen its a good idea to up the jetting on classics with the new fuels which my car already has, but it might be something to consider if not done already. Also if the car is used infrequently it's a good idea to leave as little fuel in the tank as possible for the stationary period.

Miller's VSPe is a good all in one lead+ethanol fuel additive that I have used before and provides protection up to E10.

Back