Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Economy

gpovanman

More than a 4 is excess!
I own a R4, and over the last 20,000kms it has averaged over 44 to the gallon, and some of that is cruising at up to 75 mph. I will be going down to the Balearics again in the next week or so with a couple of mates for a short holiday, and to pick up my other baby, a Land Rover 101. On the way back up to Switzerland, it will be the "support vehicle"(sic) for the 101. It will be sitting behind what is basically a brick with a wheel in each corner for 620 miles of motorway driving at an average of 50mph (i.e. getting a bit of a tow). Has anybody any ideas as to what it should be doing to the gallon under these circumstances. The 101 should be well into double figures by the way, possibly as much as 14 or 15 mpg.

This sounds a bit like a competition! A CD to the person with the closest guess. I'll say 58mpg.

You do like to win CDs!

I'd be more pessimistic. I'll go for 52 miles to the gallon. You'd have to drive closer than sensible to the 101 to gain any real aerodynamic advantage, and 44mpg is a bit rubbish for general cruising on motorways (I tend to get 45 :D) so the GTL is probably running a little rich.

I love the forward control Landies. Presumably it still has the V8? Very very cool. Can we guess the fuel consumption for that one as well?

My average over 20,00 kms is 44 mpg, but a lot of that was on budget petrol, and a lot of that was town work as well. I will certainly let you know as to how much the 101 drinks, though. Yes it does have the original engine fitted, but someone (dunno who) seems to have belted a few of the baffles out of the silencer, which means that it sounds like a Spitfire having a bloody good shot at breaking the sound barrier. It certainly will do going through some of the long uphill tunnels that I have to pass through. It is also fitted with a Fairey overdrive, which should help me a long a bit.

why not tow the r4, I towed a 1 1/2 ton caravan with a series 3 all the way to menorca did 15mpg(did 15mpg when I wasn't towing)!

I once sold a 10,000 mile LT95 box with a Fairey overdrive to a bloke with a 101 in Germany. Weighed 200kg so the postage was a lot, but he reckoned he's probably make the money back on the first outing.

Must sound great with the missing bits of silencer. The standard ones sound fantastic with all that load on the V8.

Yes, it does sound fantastic. But I think that the motorway Gendarmes won't be too keen on me towing on the autoroutes! Some Series 3s do less than that without a car in tow! The Fairey Overdrive if I remember rightly gives 27% higher gearing. Yes fuel economy goes up with it, but the engine is revved very hard without it if you want to go along the motorway at normal speeds. I would far rather cruise at 60kmh, and save a packet in fuel, but this would create a real hazard. For this reason, the R4 will follow the 101 at a safe distance, but it's headlights will be "illuminating" the 101 a bit, to counter the fact that the British military lights fitted to the 101 are about as big as an old Half Crown, and not the last word power. I have post fitted a fog light to it.

Have a good trip and when you get to Palma,have an americano at "Bar Bosch" for me. One of my favorite places to watch the world go round.

Ok then folks, the moment of truth. I did not have time to have a beer in Bar Bosch, but I have drunk there before, and it is a great place to watch the female of Palma pass you by. Well the trip back was a total of 1112 kms or 694 miles. First the R4. It used a total of 57.19 lts or 12.57 gallons which gives an economy of 5.13 l/100km or 55.21mpg. The 101 did 14.74 l/100km or 19.25 mpg as well as a hell of a racket going uphill through tunnels. The run was at an average of 80-90 kmh, but we did not have any strong winds either way. I think that the economy was just about a world record for a 101, and I had budgeted a good deal more. The advantage of having an overdrive cannot be overestimate either. It makes it a lot quieter, and obviously give you a lot more mpgs.

Back