Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Leak

NickHay

Enthusiast
When I fuelled to the brim there was a quite a bad fuel leak from somewhere near to the tank, middle of the car underneath. It receded after a while, obviously as the fuel went below whatever might be causing it.. Any idea's? Could it be a coincidence that the fuel gauge stopped working as well or could that just be a separate issue?

Hi Nick

The fuel sender unit ( which activates the gauge denoting how much fuel is in the tank) sits at the top of the fuel tank. It has a seal which sandwiches between it and the tank. It could well be that when you overfilled the tank the fuel seeped from this area. I think that the fuel gauge being affected at the same time is related. If you smell fuel or notice a leak on a regular basis and or the gauge is affected, I would investigate further. However, this would involve removing the fuel tank and checking the sender unit, seal and rubber hose which connects to the fuel pipe which leads to the fuel pump in the engine bay.

Another typical leak point is the breather pipe, it is located at the back right corner of the tank. There is a short section of rubber hose there that often splits and allows fuel to leak when tank is full.

That's great, thank you so much for your reply, very helpful. Sounds like the tank has to come out then, another little joy for a weekend.

Whatever the cause I should investigate this as soon as possible. Leaking petrol's a dangerous thing!

I suggest that you try to siphon as much fuel out of the tank as you can before removing the tank as it makes the removal process much easier to manage without spillage.

I suggest that you try to siphon as much fuel out of the tank as you can before removing the tank as it makes the removal process much easier to manage without spillage.
+1 have just dropped my tank and didnt think there was much left in there so didnt bother.. then realised you have to tip/angle the tank downwards from the back which angles the filler pipe downwards in the process

Back