Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel pump and filter

Alfonso

Enthusiast
Hello everyone again! I just cleaned the fuel pump in my R4 and I wanted to order a spare one now that I have it out of the car. However, I am having trouble finding the right one. Mine is the one in the first picture and the closest I have found is the one on the second picture (whose flange has a slightly different shape). Will I be able to fit it in despite the difference? Also, I am trying to fit in a fuel filter since apparently neither the fuel pump nor the carburettor had one. Where is the best place to fit it? Is it between fuel pump and carburettor? Many thanks in advance.

photo_2021-12-29_21-14-50.jpg

renault-fuel-system-gasoline-pump-r4-112c201-c956-1986-P82535-2.jpg

I always fit an in-line filter between the pipe from the fuel tank and the pump. In this way any extraneous detritus drawn from the tank is filtered before it reaches the pump.

Hello Alfonso, I think that pump is the same as yours, it's just been photographed upside down. Also I believe it's for a Renault 5 which would have had a fuel return line, which is what the third pipe is for. You can blank it off, as it's not needed. Regarding a fuel filter, Renault often fitted one between the pump and carburettor, easy to fit and service.
Kind regards Brian

Thank you guys for the help, I really appreciate it! After trying to reassemble it I ran into some problems that I describe in a new post, in case you are interested in giving some ideas :)

Back