Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Pump Leaking Oil from tiny Breather hole

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Hello,
My partner posted a Thread about our little yellow van and its fuel pump leaking fuel. Well it would seem that it is not leaking fuel, but oil!
The fuel pump is the type where the two halves are screwed together, and is totally mechanical. There are two tiny holes (I am thinking they are the breather holes to allow the diagpham to go in and out) and it is through one of these that the oil is leaking; it leaks more when you accelerate the engine!
The garage I returned it to (as we have 3 months warrenty) said it was normal (in French).
Is this possible; for instance if the oil level in the car was too heigh etc,, or is he telling fibbs!!

Can anyone shed a little light as to if there should be any oil coming out of the tiny holes at the top of the fuel pump for any reason.

Cheers
YellowVan

I'm not sure what causes the fuel pumps to leak oil from that hole. My MOT garage spotted mine was leaking oil and suggested I might want to replace the pump. And true enough the cars I've seen with new fuel pumps don't leak oil from there.

I'd be interested other people's ideas for the mechanism of this problem. My gut reaction is the pump has a problem. Engines should not leak oil by design.

I think that if theres a problem with the pump (ie - the diaphragm becomes worn/hole etc) the oil is diverted through the blow hole instead of it mixing with the petrol.

Fuel pump

Cheers for replying Frogie as some time has passed since the problem and post, having said that the problem still is there.
I have purchased 2 new fuel pumps from ebay and both have ended up being the ones with the lever sticking out, and I need the type with the rocker (like a light switch); but have had probs getting one, well still dont have one.
The van is my main form of transport and the oil is no real problem but I would like to replace the pump and see if it sorts the leak.

Cheers and thanks again,

Yellowvan

Looks like it, but will remove mine and have a look to double make sure before bidding.

Thanks
Yellowvan

If you put just Renault fuel pump in an eBay search you will find a few pumps like the type you are after - theres one listed in the one of the shops (bottom of the page) for £3.99 ?

Hope this helps - cheers, Matt :wink:

Back