Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuse problems/short circuit?

Ron:E

Enthusiast
Hi all you wise people and other animals of the r4-forum:smile:

A couple of weeks ago the fuse for my flasher unit(9) blew up. The fuse was a 16 a, so I replaced it with a 16 a. I' ve been driving around with 16 a since I bought her (F6 - 1983) three months ago, with no problems. Today it blew again - I replaced it and immediatly it blew up using the flasher. I blew three 16 a and two 8's, before my sunday-brain told me to stop and look in the manual.

My manual says that the flasher unit(9) needs a 5 amp, which I tried with the blown fuse-result. I guess there is a short circuit somewhere? Does anybody have an idea of where I'd be best off starting, sorting out the problem?
It seems it's only when activeting the RH flasher; I get a blown fuse?!
Do I need to put in an other than 5 amp, because sideflashers has been installed?

Thanks!

Re blown fuse

Had a similar problem and found the wire to the front indicator had chafed causing it to short occasionally when the wire moved. Maybe worth a look there as the ones in the back indicators seem well protected and dont move much.

Many thanks, kevinandkate:) It was exactly the problem. I cut out the bad part of the wire and the flasher works again, it toke me about 5 min. You saved me a lot of time and pulling my hair - thanks a lot..

regards Ronni

No problem glad to be of assistance, happy motoring.

Back