Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gassing up

tim1casa

Enthusiast
Has anybody got any ideas about converting a 4 to run on LPG? Would there be a noticeable drop in power? And does anybody know how the lead sensitive valves would cope?

Many thanks for the web site. Photographs are really useful, and I have attempted to translate using google, but it wasn't very successful. As far as I can gather most of what benadikt has written is about the technical aspects of fitting the kit. I have a company here in england that provides a very similar conversion in kit form, also of italian manufacture. The company here also provide a training day for fitting, once successfully completed, hopefully, you then get certified to fit their system on other vehicles.

I don't know if you could be so kind as to e-mail him to answer a few questions.

What I would like to know is how beneficial an LPG gas conversion is on a Renault 4 other than cheaper running costs and reduced emissions.

Specific questions are.. Do you have to start using petrol?

If not do you need to keep the petrol tank?

What is the power like?, is it reduced significantly?

Would he recommend converting tro LPG?

Have you had a closer look at your new purchase? Is the chassis OK?

Many thanks again.

Best wishes

Tim

Tim, I'll try to answer your questions from the text, as there is no direct email link to Benedikt. If you need additional information, I'll email Ingo (who owns the site) and try to establish contact with Benedikt.

* B. mentions while discussing the petrol/gas switch that he can set the time during which gas flows before starting. So I assume he is not starting on petrol (both systems exist according to Wiki). I think he kept the petrol tank to be independent and because the LPG tank fits the space of the spare wheel so nicely (but that's just my conjecture). So you'd need to ask your mechanic if your system starts on petrol and keep the tank or lose it accordingly (I've read elsewhere that tiny "starter tanks" can be fitted alongside a bigger gas tank).
* Depending on the butane/propane mixture of LPG (which varies) the power produced differs ... a high percentage of butane is at least equivalent if not more powerful than petrol. Even 100% propane (during winter in Germany) is not too bad.
* He regrets that he didn't convert to LPG earlier.
* B. writes that he runs 450km on one tank and the car runs cleaner and quieter
* He mentions one disadvantage: especially on long runs on the motorway during winter, the heating is less efficient, and he boosts it with an additional propane heater.

Robert

p.s. I'm taking my car to a friend's garage this weekend to have it MOT'd and certified as a historic vehicle (road tax is cheaper that way, and I can enter the dreaded Eco-zones)

Back