Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear selection problems

Matthew MacMunn

Enthusiast
Can anyone help please, when selecting first or third gear the gear knob hits the dash before being able to engage gear. new rubber and nylon inserts fitted and both springs in place and working. If I disconnect the gear linkage and move the gearbox lever by hand all gears can be found and engaged. If I unbolt the two bolts by the guide and extend the two tubes by approx 20mm it all works. Are there different length linkage tubes available? Maybe wrong length fitted????

Hi

There were different lengths of gear linkage tube fitted to different years. However, I would find it odd that they have been changed and the wrong lengths fitted as there is no real reason to change them from the original as it is not a part which is prone to wear and tear. Unless someone has carried out a complete engine and gearbox swap over (earlier to later spec for example) and fitted the wrong length.

My gear knob leverage broke once, I had to change it!
And that's when I discovered cleon engine's leverage and billancourt's one have different legnhts...

Hi

I have some measurements for you but only for the lower section of gear leverage tubing. I don't have any top section measurements to hand.

Smaller engined Billancourt: I have a measurement at 46 cm and one at 71cm.

Larger engined Cleon: I have a measurement at 51cm and one at 67cm

As your model is an 1989, I would compare yours with the Cleon measurements.

Hi Matthew,
good to hear you located the problem,now you've got that fixed you might start looking for that (secret) 5th.gear :whistle:
-Reid.

Back