Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearbox R5

harbourseal

Renault R4 Lunatic
Hi agian, from the Netherlands.

I had some gearbox trouble last winter. And had to change my gearbox.

I got a gearbox from a mark1 R5 into my F6.

Does anybody know this type; HA0-183?

On our Dutch forum nobody has a clew.

Thankx, Robert

Ha0 183

Hi agian, from the Netherlands.

I had some gearbox trouble last winter. And had to change my gearbox.

I got a gearbox from a mark1 R5 into my F6.

Does anybody know this type; HA0-183?

On our Dutch forum nobody has a clew.

Thankx, Robert

Hi Robert,

It is an interesting qustion and I cannot help much with my resources here. I will do what I can. May I ask why you ask the question? Is the gearing not suited to the car in some way? Your answer to this point may help us to help you.

My guide shows the HA0 series as the 354 type gearbox. My guide was published in 1982. The highest suffix is 160 in this book which was fitted to an Oval Plate 2381. That does not help you though! My guess is the gearbox that you have was built from 1982-4. Maybe there is an updated guide that you can buy from e-bay. My Haynes "bible" up to 1985 throws as much light as Lucas electrics! Google is even darker.

If it fits in your engine bay without modification then it is a 4-speed as I believe all HA0 boxes were. If it was a late model variant they would tend to use a larger capacity motor with a higher final drive. ( a guess on my part )*

You can use the timing mark on the engine. Jack the left hand side of the car, so the wheel is clear of the ground. Set the engine to TDC. Put a chalk mark on a tyre at the 12 o'clock position. With the car in top gear (and maybe pull out the spark-plugs) rotate the road wheel in the usual direction of travel. At best you will have 3.1 turns of the engine to one rotation of the wheel. This is a GTL type gearbox. At worst you you will have up to 4.125 rotations from a small capacity motor (eg 956cc).

Please let us know what you discover.

Maybe this has been of a little help.

*Renault were still using the 845cc so you will need to check the gear ratios as above to be sure.

Cheers,

David

R5 gearbox

Thank you David,

On our dutch forum it opened a discussion on the gear ratio of this gearbox.
Since nobody knew this box I can't help them.

I do have a 1108 cc engine from a GTL so that is not the original that came with the F6.

The performance of this gearbox combined with the 1108 engine is satisfatory. I do need to keep it longer in third gear to get up to speed. But driving in fouth gives a far better speed than the original F6 gearbox.

All this with without a heavy load.

Ill try and work out the ratio with your suggestions.

Robert

Got my answer

During my nightshift I got a brainwave.

Look up the website's of R5 traders in the Netherlands.

Turned out we have one in the east of the country.
I have gtten my answer from him.
Gear ratio's are the same as a GTL gearbox.

Back