Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearbox reference

Mike

Hi there,

I have a r 4 from 1989.

I bought a another one for pieces and I just dismount the Gearbox.

As I live in a Island (Madeira) we have many climbs and the best gearbox is a short one.

I spoke with a mechanic and asked him to see the gearboxes I have, the one i am using and the one I dismount from the other car, to help me and tell me if any of them is short or long.

He said that was possible with the numbers that we can find in a plate with a screw in top of the boxes.

Can anyone help me with this numbers and informe witch one is the shorter?

Tanks in advance and sorry if there is some kicks in my Inglish.

Nice turns

miguel

• DPP_00011.JPG
    DPP_00011.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DPP_00012.JPG
    DPP_00012.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 147
think malcolm has got my gearbox book with all the ratios listed

The gearbox of the R4 F6 Van is definitely a short one!

The plate on top of my one reads:
HAO 163

I don't think I've got the gearbox book - that should have gone back to you with the other books at the Kent run last year.

I looked at a gearbox taken off a 956cc engine and it is HAO191. So this must have the lower (compared to GTL) final drive ratio.

Gearbox

The HAO type boxes were fitted to Renault 4,5 and 6. The HA1 was only fitted to the Renault 5.
Sadly, my book was published in 1982 and only goes as far as HAO 160, so I'm not much help.
You can put a pen mark/drop of white out or paint on a drive spline. Put another on the input shaft. Easiest if you put them both at the 12 o'clock position. Count the number of turns on the input shaft (at least 3) until the drive spline completes its rotation. You will then know the ratio. Do it on both boxes and you will be able to choose the lowest number as the gearbox that you want to use for your hilly terrain.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

David

nice idea but would only work with a locked diff as a normal diff may feel like turning one side output more than the other on the bench

spose you could fit 2 shafts and mole grip one to stop it turning !!!!!

Back