Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearchange linkage

ggcton

Enthusiast
I have bought a tidy 1984 GTL through this Forum ,although I have not yet seen it.
It was inspected on my behalf by the RCCC chairman who reported that the bushes on the gear linkage were worn.
Can these be obtained or is there a work round.
Thanks Gary

• Renault 4 GTL 005.jpg
    Renault 4 GTL 005.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 115
You can get bushes from Franzose in Germany but the old ones must be very bad to make much difference.
Allan

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Hi ggcton. the only bush that may need changing is situated at the very front where the vertical gearlever joins the horzontal umbrella gearlever shaft. The linkage is a plastic/nylon bush mounted in a large rubber gromet and it's a 'bug***' to replace :eek:. (severe health warning) The nylon? inner bush new has a 5/8" internat dia. and was oversized deliberately - unless this has disintegrated I would'nt waste your money on the replacement. (Kit fairly inexpensive/available at your local friendly Reno dealer :)). Unfortunately I did :( and when compared the inner bushes were identical :shock:.
The horizontal shaft cannot vibrate/wobble much as its tensioned by spring :cool: but all the assembly should be grease/lubed at contact/rubbing points throughout.

That looks like a good find - no rust peeping through in any of the normal areas (unusual for an A reg car - rust proofing was improved on later models).

Well worth having a look before buying any parts - a nasty gearchange is often caused by the spring being missing from the gearlever, and the shaft does need to be lubricated where it passes through the bush above the radiator as Le Champ suggested.

Are you planning to pop down to the R4 run in Kent? Miles and miles from you, but good place to meet up with the crowd.

Thanks again

Thanks ,I will have a very good look when I pick the car up on Wednesday.
I do not know when the run is but I think it is in May when I will be away.
I intend to take the car to some of the RCCC meets this year.
Malcolm I have started an R4 register section on the RCCC forum could you post something to help get it going.

Gary

Over the years I had bad experience with R4s that some previous owner thought it would be a good idea to grease the gear lever bushes.
Greasing them tends to attract dust and it soon turns to a sticky mud that impedes gear lever movement. Furthermore, they are made out of low friction plastic. Try degreasing them and the lever completely and you will notice a great difference.

Back