Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Good news!

Nelson

Skint
Just got Cynthia back from "Controle Technique" and it's not too bad. Theres a few bits to sort out, headlights, window-wipers and exhaust pipe mounting. Worst thing was exhaust emmissions, anyone got any hints or tips for cleaning them up? we're going to put her into local garage for a tune-up, dont seem to be able to adjust the points more than a millimetre or two, and hopefully get her back in for a re-test within a fortnight or so. thanks again for all the help so far - Brilliant website, Clem! if we can be of any help to the rest of you please don't hesitate to email. Seeing as we are in france we might be in a position to source/price parts easier/cheaper.

What are the standards for exhaust emissions over there? And did they tell you what the readings were for your car?

I tend to advise screwing the mixture adjusting screw fully in, then back out by 1.5 turns. That's normally about right.

It's a balance between having too many hydrocarbons and too much CO2. Turn the screw in to reduce the hydrocarbons, or out to reduce the CO2. Cars with very worn engines might not be able to find the balance (that's what the test is there to pick up), but it should be possible to pass anything else so long as the points are correctly adjusted and in good condition (new).

French emission levels

The last "CT" (2003) was passed with Co 3.41 Co2 12.60 and Teneur en Co 3.40

But our recent emissions test results which were a fail are as follows:

Essence: Teneur en Co (%) : 8.0

Our garagiste has had a look at Cynthia, she's had new points and he's had a go at tuning her up but she's still struggling on emissions. Tomorrow morning he's going to take the carburretor off and try to clean it up, atleast i think that's what he said - still struggling with french mechanical vocabulary!

Any ideas for helping it along? is it worth buying some of that cleaning addititive? Apparently I can register her as a classic here to get a kinder emissions level limit but not sure if its worth the hassle - anyone else got any experience with r4's in France? Our garagiste calls it a "quatrelle" - pronounced cat-trelle.

I was confusing myself - it's NO and CO plus hydrocarbons that you'd tune against eachother. The figures you had last year look about right.

This year it looks incredibly rich. Take the air cleaner off and look down the carburettor to see if the choke opens fully. Sometimes the cable can slip. Other than that, it can only be someone has altered the mixture setting. There is a screw on the side of the carburettor body. Turn it in all the way and then out by 1.5 turns for about the right mixture.

There are other things - make sure the air intake is on the summer setting, that the air filter is clean, and the ignition timing is correctly adjusted, but these things would be unlikely to make enough difference.

Ok to go!

Monsieur Maulave has cleaned out cynthia's carb and she's purring sweetly! Emissions are now ok so it's just the wipers to sort out for the controle technique. I'd like the speedo working too, will have a look at that when we dismantle the dash for Wipers. Thanks for all the help!

That's good news - did you find out what the problem was with the carbuterror?

I too need to fix my own speedo. In my case it wobbled violently between 0mph and 100mph before it finally decided that 0mph was going to be a more accurate guess. It's a broken cable for me.

M. Maulave wasnt there when we picked her up so will have to wait for the bill to see if we are paying for anything extra - he seemed to think if he dismantled it and cleaned it, it would be ok. So I assume that's what he did. She's not running fantastically still but have forbidden hubby to tinker with her until she gets thru her emissions test. still trying to source rear seatbelts - have found a guy on french ebay who is selling static belts for classic cars, if my french is good enough I will ask him if they'll fit a R4. Havent dealt with window wipers either - have a can of wd-40 on standby - strangely broken speedo is not mot fail!

She passed!

Well the good news is that thanks to Martin we got a new wiper motor but we weren't happy with how she was running so I got a local english mechanic to look at her. Luckily he has fond memories of R4's as he used to work for a renault garage in the seventies and he tuned her up lovely, and for 1 day she purred sweetly once more but has since started running like a pig at low revs. We put her in for the Control Technique which she sailed through - my english mechanic assured me that as he had set the points and tweaked a few other settings emmissions wouldnt be a problem. when I asked him about the running problem he suggested a dodgy spark plug which we did find but now it's replaced with a renault plug she still isnt running right. I wouldnt mind but I've driven her when she's running sweetly and would like to get her right particularly as fuel consumption seems to have increased and I'm worried that it might be a symptom of something about to "go", although my english mechanic thought the engine was in fairly good nick apart from a small water leak which he thought would benefit from a new pump in the next 6 months. Bear with me on this as I'm not mechanically minded and I may have left out or got wrong some "technical" bits but hopefully one of you petrol heads might be able to guess the underlying problem.

Hi
I have just brought a Cunsons emission tester and have set me blue 4 up with the mixture screw nearly all the way in to give .58 % CO2 in the exhaust
The french limit is 3.5 % but I want to be sure for the CT
Anyway my car ticks over very lumpy and lacks power needs the choke on for a long time etc caused no doubt by the very weak mixture
I shall be winding the screw out again as soon as I have the CT on the windscreen It is possible they have set your mixture low as well

By the way I have sent you a message regarding the Transit seat and starter motor

Solution maybe

I had similar problem with my R4 GTL from 1987.
Main and only problem was worn inlet outlet gasket causing air leak .
I replaced everything , with no result .
At low revs engine was choking , fuel consumption was very high . Here in Serbia no one controle exaust emesion .
After one overheating , when I take off cilinder head I found just a few pieces of iner outer gasket . It was the only problem .
Try that . It is not expencive repair .

Well the good news is that thanks to Martin we got a new wiper motor but we weren't happy with how she was running so I got a local english mechanic to look at her. Luckily he has fond memories of R4's as he used to work for a renault garage in the seventies and he tuned her up lovely, and for 1 day she purred sweetly once more but has since started running like a pig at low revs. We put her in for the Control Technique which she sailed through - my english mechanic assured me that as he had set the points and tweaked a few other settings emmissions wouldnt be a problem. when I asked him about the running problem he suggested a dodgy spark plug which we did find but now it's replaced with a renault plug she still isnt running right. I wouldnt mind but I've driven her when she's running sweetly and would like to get her right particularly as fuel consumption seems to have increased and I'm worried that it might be a symptom of something about to "go", although my english mechanic thought the engine was in fairly good nick apart from a small water leak which he thought would benefit from a new pump in the next 6 months. Bear with me on this as I'm not mechanically minded and I may have left out or got wrong some "technical" bits but hopefully one of you petrol heads might be able to guess the underlying problem.

Back