Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Good or bad driveshaft?

It was not easy (mostly nerve taking job) but this is all mechanical part that can be put back together.

The biggest question is.....How good grooves are?
Because if there is to much air/space between rings and grooves than your driveshaft will make that recognizable TOK-TOK sound when accelerating and cornering.

Will show you some "dents" that were on this drive shaft in grooves

One of the grooves. You can notice two vertical smooth lines in the middle of groove.
IMG_20200628_133317.jpg

Here is same picture where i have pointed out that vertical smooth lines.
IMG_20200628_133317-1.jpg

Rolling rings made them thru time of driveshaft use

When driveshafts are "repaired" this grooves are welded and grinned so that surface is again flat.

I have just polished them slightly
IMG_20200628_132516_1.jpg

Now it is big question have i done good thing and repair driveshaft. Welding part is missing in my process so airiness between rolling ring and grooves is bigger than before.
Or i have made bad thing and driveshaft need professional repair.

Test ride soon (i hope)

This is a problem with some reconditioned drive shafts as the quality of the metal used is no where near the original standard nice simple test is to put pair of mole grips on the drive shaft grip the centre when the car is on the ground if when you move the mole grips up and down you can hear a knocking noise expect the same when you drive it

This driveshaft are supposed to be original but there is no really way to tell.

Will try your test Paul.
Results will post here for future purposes

I have tried to do the test as Paul sugested.
Grabed driveshaft with my hand while car is on the ground and pull it front and back (of the car) and feeled a lot of play but more at gearbox side than and wheel side.
Same on both driveshafts (left and right)

Have i done test correctly?

Nice job done, it was helpful to me to do almost similar process (not getting little rings off only).
My renault is saying thank you! No more noise when turning. :D

TX Strmoslava...

I am glad someone else have benefit from this topic and my work!

Did you polished groves?

TX Strmoslava...

I am glad someone else have benefit from this topic and my work!

Did you polished groves?

I didn't polished them, they seemed cool.

And to have in mind that I got two second hand driveshafts for 10€ it made me satisfied that after good cleaning and reassembly one was super fine and working. :D

Also I feel more secure in choosing them from now on.
That thing you and others were discussing here. :D

I couldn't even take this retainer out, only was able to remove one finger of it, it's very hard. It was even hard to put the one finger back. It's very strong. I decided not to remove it. Even If I could, I wouldn't be able to put it back. I cleaned the joint as much as I could without taking it out.

I was thinking same untill i "find the way".

It is really hard to put retainer back when you do not know what to do.

Once you find out how, than it is not so hard.

Back