Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTectomy

Richard Williams

Enthusiast
Not content with spending my weekdays operating of a different nature I'm intending to do some surgery on my recently aquired GTL. With the supply of late60s/early 70sLs [which I hope we all agree we the pinnacle of our favourite car] drying up , many of us have been collecting the relavent parts from older cars to "convert" GTLs back in time. Would members care to add to my list and maybe we can come up with a detailed account for those of us who are less experienced.

Remove wheels and replace with chrome hub type
Remove plastic side planels and make good
Remove grill and replace with chrome type
Front and rear bumpers with overriders removed and chrome replacement
Dooor handles removed and replaced with chrome ones
Add thin aluminium stripes to side of car, and sills
Change boot handle to T type (chrome)
Debadge and replace with RENAULT 4 type in silver
Remove and make good wing indicator lights
Interior seats out plain black types in (bench type)
Door panels back to plain black
Remove stripe of plastic attached to roof ridge
Window wiper blades removed and replaced with chrome type

Any ideas on replacement of the entire dash/steering wheel would be welcome, I fear that is beyong this particular surgeon!

Seems a shame to do that if the GTL is as nice as it looks, but here are a few points:

The early wheels don't fit over the GTL front brakes. Some Spanish built cars had GTL style wheels with chrome hubcaps which are probably going to be closest.

The bench type seat (or the early twin front seats) would not leave room for the handbrake. The later '70s TL has a bit more room between the seats. The alternative is a dash mounted handbrake operating the rear wheels (again from one of the Spanish built TLs).

To be really picky you'd also want to change that air inlet under the window for a flap type (difficult).

I suspect the dash and steering wheel would fit fairly easily, but you'd need the steering column as well if you were going to do that.

Have you considered buying an early car which would give you a really cool dogleg first gear too. There are a load of subtle details in the early ones that would be difficult to replicate - external door and boot hinges, a nice curve in that seam around the roof, cool mechanicals etc.

Clementine said:
Have you considered buying an early car which would give you a really cool dogleg first gear too. There are a load of subtle details in the early ones that would be difficult to replicate - external door and boot hinges, a nice curve in that seam around the roof, cool mechanicals etc.

And here is me thinking how cool it would be to have a nice modern GTL :-)

Richard - you forgot the chrome 'crash bars' at the front. When I restore my GTL I've got new chrome door handles, new sill strips, new chrome bumpers to go on and will chrome the new crash bars I have. I intend to trim it in black anyway as I've never like the tartan seats, will remove the plastic side panels and try and obtain chrome wipers somehow. That just leaves the grill and the boot lock to think about.

All exciting stuff!!!...now what shall I do to the engine??

Don't forget to offer all those parts you take off your GTL to those of us keeping ours in 1980's guise!! Adrian

Aluminium Grills

Anyone have any idea where these are available ,I saw on on E-bay recentlt sold for alot of money. I have added the chrome crsh bars to the list....thanks for that.
Seemed to have touch a raw nerve with some of the members... live and let live ... but yes share the parts

The aluminium grilles are getting tricky. French Four made off with the grille on eBay as well as the other chrome bits (he used the underhand trick of bidding too much money) - http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=602 Think he's up the the same thing as you.

GTL bumpers and carry handles can be chromed. I'd be interested if you can find a source for the aluminium grilles - I need a good one too. I'm tempted to fill an old dented one with concrete and try to bash out some replicas, but I wouldn't manage the hidden detail of the originals (they are folded at the rear to avoid the nasty sharp edge). Also interested if anyone can find a source for the aluminium strips on the side. Haven't looked myself, but last I heard they could be occasionally picked up on French eBay.

Back