Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gtl handbrake

richard

Enthusiast
good (modern, grey colour) brake linings,cable checked & is free,wheel cylinder pistons eased by pushing to & fro,drum washed out & reasonable condition,self adjusters seemingly working ok,linings cleaned off & rubbed over with fine wet & dry paper, have even used handbrake only for stopping to try & bed in linings-although they are 2or3 years in use-but still no decent handbrake on one wheel(other fine!) What do I do next? Im beat!

Richard-even if it's late in the game there is no reason to give in! Do you have two Separate wires all the way from brake-handle or one of those Y-joints?(forgot the proper name for it!)
have one pull the brake handle while you check underneath to see Both wires Really moving. One wire streeetched?? I reckon you are sure both drums are near equal inner-size? -R.

usual problem on most cars is down to incorrect setup of adjustment
have a good look at the position of handbrake arms on brake shoes ,they need to be fully back if the pivot point is sticky they will end up with insufficient travel to provide levarage because it will hit cable guide at bottom of back plate
you will need to slacken off cable completely then see if arm goes back if it does readjust brakes( or free off siezed adjusters bendix i presume )so drum is snug fit before refitting drum then after checking pedal is good finally take slack out of handbrake adjuster

thanks Redalpine & mr. Reno-will dismantle & investigate further-will report back as & when.needless to say,MOT almost due.To make matters worse,backed into a lampost yesterday & folded in rear wing & bumper-no excuse-not concentrating enough!

4gtl handbrake

Handbrake now sorted & working very well. Problem was,I was re-adjusting the cable BEFORE pumping brake pedal to click up the self-adjuster-which considerably reduces the amount of take up.Silly me-I knew this once.but had forgotten.thanks to Mr Reno for pointing me in the right direction.Got my MOT,but foot brakes only just good enough.I usually remove pads & wash off(petrol) & also rub them with wet&dry paper-couldent be bothered this time & nearly got a failure

Back