Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Have just inherited a 1981 Renault 4 GTL with parking brake issues.

Legos Latte

Hi, my name is Louis I just inherited a 1981 Renault 4 GTL. I live in South America and there are not many of these cars around. Its been very hard to find a trust worthy mechanic that knows how to repair this vehicle without trying to fix it the "old school way". I just find that some of those tips and tricks from back then worked and others just cause more trouble than they are worth.
On my car I need to adjust the front parking brake but find it difficult to push the cables that go to the front brakes to move the pin to the next notch. Is there anyone who might know a simple way of trying to adjust the brakes on this car.

Hi Louis

Bienvenido. First ensure the brakes are adjusted correctly at the brake drum end by adjusting via the backplate adjusters. Lock them and then adjust until they are just free.

With regards to the handbrake adjustment, It is best to remove the hooked bar first (the small adjustment) as this will relieve the tension. I would then remove the clevis pin for the main adjustment which is located in the half moon bracket housing the two brake cables. The clevis pin has a thin split pin located in its eye which would need removing before removal of the clevis pin is possible. With the handbrake in the released position, slot a pair of long nosed pliers in the gap between the half moon bracket and the cables and push the bracket forward to the desired adjustment position and line up the hole in the bracket, re-insert the clevis pin and replace the split pin. You can now decide on the required adjustment for the minor adjustment ( hooked bar). The brake drums need to be free with the handbrake off. If they are binding you have over-adjusted.

Hi Louis

Bienvenido. First ensure the brakes are adjusted correctly at the brake drum end by adjusting via the backplate adjusters. Lock them and then adjust until they are just free.

With regards to the handbrake adjustment, It is best to remove the hooked bar first (the small adjustment) as this will relieve the tension. I would then remove the clevis pin for the main adjustment which is located in the half moon bracket housing the two brake cables. The clevis pin has a thin split pin located in its eye which would need removing before removal of the clevis pin is possible. With the handbrake in the released position, slot a pair of long nosed pliers in the gap between the half moon bracket and the cables and push the bracket forward to the desired adjustment position and line up the hole in the bracket, re-insert the clevis pin and replace the split pin. You can now decide on the required adjustment for the minor adjustment ( hooked bar). The brake drums need to be free with the handbrake off. If they are binding you have over-adjusted.
Good advice-as Always! -would you consider an Au-pair(idge) in Norway for a Full going-through period Jc ? -3meals&beer-a day/scenic surroundings/ premium reruns on telly/fistfights at local beerjoint Every night after/22:00 etc etc -Reid.

Back