Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head restraints again

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
I'm a new owner of a Renault 4 but the lack of head restraints (and having had previous life-necessary neck surgery) is making me feel a little exposed.

My car has previously been restored with new seat covers and I'm not sure if it had head restraints originally (it's a 1986 GTL). I notice from the handbook that owners were expected to fit them themselves.

Does anyone have a set, preferably upholstered ones (I have new covers for them to match my seats)?

Thanks, Mark Bradbury

It's a long time since I scrapped any cars with suitable headrests at the time I did use to keep them can't remember which ones into changed from other Renault models but all will be rare now from memory there was two different spacings at the top of the seat frame and you need to check they are compatible you will also need the plastic tubes to push into the metal framework to Mount the headrests

Mark, I have an exactly similar problem-- multiple cervical fusion leaving me wishing some support in a rear-ender. I have a '68 model with bench seat which I'd had re-covered in leather so didn't want to modify it.
After a lot of looking I ended up getting a pair of these slip-on head rests from Germany:
https://oldtimer-ersatzteile24.de/Black-universal-headrest-for-classic-car
99 Euro each and pretty nice quality- they do them in a variety of colours. Whilst they might not pass the same safety tests as a built in factory unit they do provide some support for in an accident and also just let you rest you neck when you need to. I've had them two years and they work really well. I figure that by the time someone has hit you in the back hard enough for them to not support you they are probably going to keep coming and squash you flat- at least thats my rationalisation.

By the way after neck and back surgery I find the Renault 4 way comfier than any modern car, I struggle after any time in a new car these days, and my kids say its like sitting on a comfy sofa. Crazy how such a cheap car could be so good even fifty-sixty years later.

Look for a pair of R5 Alpine or TX seats. They have high backs and headrests and won't look out of place in your GTL interior. Very comfortable seats if they are in good shape.

Mark, I have an exactly similar problem-- multiple cervical fusion leaving me wishing some support in a rear-ender. I have a '68 model with bench seat which I'd had re-covered in leather so didn't want to modify it.
After a lot of looking I ended up getting a pair of these slip-on head rests from Germany:
99 Euro each and pretty nice quality- they do them in a variety of colours. Whilst they might not pass the same safety tests as a built in factory unit they do provide some support for in an accident and also just let you rest you neck when you need to. I've had them two years and they work really well. I figure that by the time someone has hit you in the back hard enough for them to not support you they are probably going to keep coming and squash you flat- at least thats my rationalisation.

By the way after neck and back surgery I find the Renault 4 way comfier than any modern car, I struggle after any time in a new car these days, and my kids say its like sitting on a comfy sofa. Crazy how such a cheap car could be so good even fifty-sixty years later.

Thanks very much, I'll take a look. I did wonder if accessory fit versions were still available but assumed they probably weren't. I needed a C1/C2 fusion 22 years ago as a result of chronic and widespread rheumatoid arthritis which I've had since 21 years old. Thankfully, despite various joint deformations and spells of really struggling, the medication I've been on since 2004 has been quite literally miraculous. In the UK many people moan about our health system but when you have a serious condition and really need help, the NHS and everyone who works for it is quite simply brilliant.

Look for a pair of R5 Alpine or TX seats. They have high backs and headrests and won't look out of place in your GTL interior. Very comfortable seats if they are in good shape.

That's another good idea - presumably the mountings are easily modified to fit the R4? I also could do with another inch or two, perhaps I could engineer this in at the same time...

I second this on the bench seats.
Even thought I am too tall to fully use it, I managed to find a one piece headrest from a very old bug and it does help! Working up to 20h in the same seat damages my back so whenever I get out, I try to have my back straight as possible.

I'm a new owner of a Renault 4 but the lack of head restraints (and having had previous life-necessary neck surgery) is making me feel a little exposed.

My car has previously been restored with new seat covers and I'm not sure if it had head restraints originally (it's a 1986 GTL). I notice from the handbook that owners were expected to fit them themselves.

Does anyone have a set, preferably upholstered ones (I have new covers for them to match my seats)?

Thanks, Mark Bradbury

Hi Mark,
I have a complete set of seats, door cards and headrests for the front seats. They came from a 65 GTL. They are in the blue and red plad material.
I don't want to split them up and want to sell them all together. They are in vgc. Clive.

Thanks, Mark Bradbury

I'm in N.Warks by the way.

Cheers Clive, I may be interested. Just have to convince my wife to change from the existing red vinyl - which she really likes...

Back