Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heater help - how does it connect up??

Joolzy

Enthusiast
Please forgive the maybe stupid question.
My husband died unexpectedly, recently, and I have inherited the Renault and need some guidance.

I can see there is the pipework under the bonnet (see photos below) but where do they connect to on the engine?

I have lifted up one of the pipes for ease of seeing them, but I am sure people here more knowledgeable than me will know
what they are looking at!

If someone could post a photo showing how they connect up and also what parts I need to make this happen that would
be very useful indeed.

Many thanks for your time

Renault heater 2.jpg Renault heater 1.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband - my condolences.

It's difficult to be sure, but it looks from your photos as if the heater has been bypassed. If the water pump has a pipe like this on it, then that's the case:

1642085835614.jpeg
1642085890916.jpegThis is an owner's way of bypassing the heater - fairly common in hot countries, or as a way of dealing with a leak in the heater matrix or one of the heater pipes.
If a pipe like this has been fitted, you just need to remove it and fit the heater pipes to the water pump with jubilee clips. Once that's done, you'll have to top up and bleed the cooling system (if you do a search on the forum, there are plenty of helpful posts about this). Once the engine has cooled down completely, have a look at the coolant level in the expansion bottle, and top it up to the 'max' level if necessary.
The heater pipes should look like this:

1642086668000.jpeg

1642086701232.jpeg
Good luck with the R4 - very best wishes.

Really sorry for you loss!

Andy explained it in detail.

I would just ask. Is heater matrix changed or not?
If yes then you need to connect pipes to waterpump and bleade system.
If not, then worth to check were heater matrix is leaking. Can be heater matrix broken or can be leaking at joint where heater valve is connected to heater (knob that you turn in canine to get heat)

Back