Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

heater problems

quatrelle87

Enthusiast
Hi all. I've done a quick search on this problem, but didn't find an answer immediately, so hope it's OK to ask here.
I can't turn down the heater on my GTL. It's pumping out hot air. I'm not sure if it's as simple as a faulty heater switch/knob in the car, or whether there are other issues I need to consider.
I've only had the car back on the road a couple of days, as it has been standing in a barn for the last few years, so I realise there are going to be some issues to deal with.
Thanks in advance of any advice you can give.

As you suggest, it could be that the knob is turning, but not the valve shaft. If you unscrew and remove the knob, will the shaft turn? If not, you might be able to unseize it. If the valve is no good, you can replace it fairly easily with the heater still in the car (you'll probably have to disconnect the heater hoses from the water pump first to allow the heater to come away from its housing). It's not easy on the back, but access on a LHD car is better than on a RHD!
You can get replacement heater valves fairly easily - if no joy in France, try Spanish eBay.
This page might be useful:

https://piezasautosclasicos.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=grifo

DSC00692.JPG

Probably heater knob problem.
Can you turn it at all? Or does not have any influence how knob is standing.
In any case you will need to remove whole heater box down and check.

Heater knob has tendency to get stuck if not used for long time.
You are able to turn knob but actually valve is not moving.
Or O-ring inside valve is no longer capable to stop water going thru heater.

Here is how you can open heater knob, clean inside and change O - ring (10x2,5)
https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-i-done-r4-gtl.3996/page-15#post-50245

Great guys. Thanks for your help. I'll have a look and see if I can work out what's happening.

Very likely knob turning but not shaft. GO VERY GENTLY when freeing up the shaft those valves are easily broken if leak afterwards

Back