Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heavy rattling when driving uphill

Mackillo

Enthusiast
Had my Renault 4 GTL for a few months and noticed that when I drive uphill, without anyone else in the car, the steering becomes very light and rattle-y.

I took it to a mechanic and he highlighted that most of the steering system if very loose and looks like it needs replacing. I live in morocco where I the quality of the mechanic can be quite unreliable and considering attempting the replacement myself.

I have few tools and very little experience with cars before this. But would enjoy the challenge for sure.

Wondering if there are any recommended parts?
Has anyone else replaced their steering themselves?

I’ve been thinking about upgrading the dampers for a while anyway as the roads are very bumpy here as well.

Any recommendations for good quality set and is it worth it?

From your photos this kit has all the balljoints related to front steering /suspension, fitted all on mine with basic tools, jack, jack-stand and balljoint splitting tool, they also stock driveshafts and wishbone bushes if needed, plenty of info on forum about changing these so if you have a go yourself you will find that you can do better than a Kwik-fit fitter.

thanks to both of the replies. I’ll check out these parts

Well spotted @petak. I wonder if anyone might know of a guide that shows what this should all look like?

Sheck absorbers fitted on your car look weird. Don't they jack up front ride height too much?

thanks to both of the replies. I’ll check out these parts

Well spotted @petak. I wonder if anyone might know of a guide that shows what this should all look like?
Try la4ldesylvie - it's an excellent site with lots of good photos:

Sheck absorbers fitted on your car look weird. Don't they jack up front ride height too much?
Yes these front shocks seems to have an issue as well. The springs are not attached and move freely along the shaft.

Ride height is ok though I think. These picture were taken when it was jacked up so this may be what you see?

Yes these front shocks seems to have an issue as well. The springs are not attached and move freely along the shaft.

Ride height is ok though I think. These picture were taken when it was jacked up so this may be what you see?

OK, I was thinking that these helper springs worked, which would not necessarily be good.

Back