Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello all! I have a question, first of many..!

Jtjtuckshop

Hi everybody, my name is James and I am from Bristol.
On a short break in Croatia last year my girlfriend pointed out an R4 and how pretty it was. A few months of seeking out bits of info on various different Internet platforms later, I’ve just put a deposit on an ‘84 fourgonette, unsighted from near Dunkirk. The idea would be to use it as a quirky, eye catching work van around town.
I am ready to walk away if it’s not as described, i.e. rotting into the ground but provisionally my options for moving it would be restricted to a light weight towing dolly (no current côntrole technique, insurance etc.)
So my question is, has anyone here ever pulled one of these with such a contraption? Do the wishbones/chassis legs lend them self easily enough to attachment?
Please excuse the newbie-ness but that’s what I am!
Can’t use car trailer as it would require addition to my driver’s licence, pulling just the vehicle keeps it under the weight limit.

Others may correct me here, but I suspect that it may not be legal to tow (including using a dolly) a motor vehicle on public roads in the UK if that vehicle does not have valid UK tax/MOT/insurance. So you may have to find a geriatric (old enough to be able to tow a trailer on his licence without having to pass a test) friend and a trailer.

A R4 is easy to secure using straps/tie-downs via the front suspension arms/chassis legs/tubular crossmember etc.

Total weight of a R4 is about 750K so if you can find a lightweight trailer there should not be any gross-train-weight problems with a reasonable-sized towing car.

I’d find a car with controle technique on it in the first place!
It’s against the law to sell a car in France without at least 18 months on it, if I remember correctly.

No point buying a heap of junk, you’ll spend more than the cost of buying a good one by trying to fix it up.

...It’s against the law to sell a car in France without at least 18 months on it, if I remember correctly.....
I don't know whether the laws have changed in recent years but it used to be that it was illegal to sell a car unless either it had at least 6 months CT left or it was being sold for parts.

It’s against the law to sell a car in France without at least 18 months on it, if I remember correctly.
Only a valid Carte Grise (France) is sufficient, or we never could find, buy and RESTORE a nice original 50+ years old 4L barnfind or any other oldtimer that hasn't got a valid CT/MOT anywhere worldwide.
For example in The Netherlands when your car is 50+ years young, never MOT again ;)

Last edited:
Back