Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

hello can i have some advice on renault 1.9 turbo diesels

cypher007

im currently looking at a few Volvo 1.9 turbo diesels and need advice on the engines, as there a renault unit. im new to diesels so wouldnt now a good one from a bad. one i looked at recently would run ok but when reved while standing a plum of white smoke would appear, this made me walk away without even test driving it, as i thought if it makes this much smoke at normal intake pressures whats it gonna be like when the turbo kicks in. anyway i may be not reading the signs right so need some tips on how to test one before purchase.

White smoke is a bit odd (at this time of year). It's likely to be oil from the turbo. Could also be water in the fuel or lots of other things on a badly maintained car.

With diesels it's important that the oil is changed regularly as they do tend to fill their sumps with black gunk. For a turbo car this is really important as the turbo relies on good lubrication. It's worth getting one with a reasonable service history. Also check the cam belt has been changed if it's reached that kind of mileage.

One common fault with diesels is the glow plugs (used to start the engine) tend to stop working after a while. Try to arrange to test the car from cold. Insist on the phone when you arrange the viewing. If the owner has warmed it up be suspicious. If the car starts on three cylinders (slow idle and lumpy) and the 4th cylinder starts working after a few seconds then there is a faulty glow plug.

While the car is completely cold, before starting, it's worth undoing the coolant bottle cap. Hissing could indicate coolant or head gasket trouble. This is fairly rare but worth checking for.

I can't think of much else. See it it drives OK and doesn't rattle or bang.... Don't worry too much about black smoke on full throttle acceleration up hill. Diesels do that. Mind you, I've not experienced diesels with the new fangled particle traps in the exhaust - maybe they don't do that....

I think around £40. I've never actually enquired how much they cost or how much effort is involved in replacing them. I was quite content for my old 406 diesel to start on 2 or 3 cylinders with lots of black smoke until the other cylinders cut in. :D

Back