Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Down Under.

torsion

Hello and greetings from Australia,
My R4 involvement is a rather strange story of luck and chance and I seem to be a magnet to them! The R4 is a very rare beast in Australia and were only sold here from about 1962 to 1965 or 66. To buy one in those years in Australia you had to have strong personal resolve. The average Australian's motoring preferance was for a car with at least 6 cylinders and at least 3 litre capacity, front engine, rear wheel drive, cart spring (leaf) suspension, shapeless uncomfortable bench seats front and back and BIG. Consequently Holden and Ford dominated the market selling these cars that accellerated well but handled and braked poorly rode badly, were uncomfortable and despite their outside dimensions weren't that capacious inside. To buy other than these products was seen as unpatriotic. To buy an R4 you were seen as an anarchist (or at least a communist), or an intellectual, or of dubious sexual habits, or a wine(plonk) drinker (everyone drank beer in those days), or out of your mind or everything rolled into one! Consequently despite the brilliance of the Renault 4 design very few were sold and even fewer have survived.
I have always been fascinated by cars with in-line engines against the firewall driving forward to a gearbox in the nose that drives the front wheels. Cars with this layout have all been landmark designs;- i.e. the Traction Citroen, the Citroen DS, the Citroen SM, the Renault 4, the original Renault 5 and the Renault 16. I own 2 Citroen DSs and 2 Renault 16s so an R4 was really inevitable. I finally found one a bit over 2 years ago in reasonable condition and have slowly been getting it roadwothy;- it now has brakes and can stop! This car came with an additional completely rebuilt as new engine;- so when I was offered two more engineless R4s and a lot of other spare panels and parts for nothing;-I couldn't refuse! One of these vehicles is in quite good condition and will receive the rebuilt engine;- the aim being to get two vehicles back on the road. Interestingly all these vehicles were first registered in '64 or '65 but have the opening rear quarter windows which I believe were discontinued fairly early in the R4's production run. Either it took a long time to ship them out here or even longer to persuade someone here to buy one! As the R4s here got older they were sought after by owners of supercharged Austin 7 racers;- because with little modification the R4 conrod/bigends could be put into the Austins 7 and were much stronger and reliable than those in the Austin 7. That was the fate of the two engineless cars I have been given. My teenage son teated the R4 with derision when he first realized it had little more power than our ride-on mower;- but I may get the last laugh. Several of his young lady friends love the R4s;- so when I get one back on the road ;-I( at 53) may at last, indeed, be driving a "chick magnet"! Ah, dream dream!

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter, good to see you on the forum.

Peter sent me some photos of his cars back in 2003. Tintin the R4 looked like a very worthwhile project, and the DS is immaculate. But more Renault 4s , another DS and some 16s? Wow - you've been busy. Do post some photos of your cars on the forum or gallery.

I think you mentioned in your mails that French nuclear testing was just a little unpopular over in Australia and Renault had to stop importing cars to Australia for the next 25 years.

I have a friend with Austin 7s - you've probably seen his photos in the gallery and I should really point a link at his site http://www.ossian4.co.uk Anyway, he often asks if I've seen any Renault 4 750 engines about. I'd guess they are getting fairly rare these days.

How far away from completion are you on the 4s?

:clementi:

Wow! Another Melburnian R4 owner on the forum! Perhaps we should arrange a mutual viewing! I'm in North Fitzroy, where are you?

I have to agree with Peter's sentiments. Interestingly, the 845 R4 motor did find its way into a ride-on mower. One of the reasons why Caravelle in Melbourne still keep a fair few R4 engine bits is that they were used in an American ride-on mower (the Toro Groundmaster) of the mid seventies which was sold here by Scott Bonnar, a local mower maker. They also went into a belgian mower sold by Wheel Horse around the same time.

I can't believe how many good R4 and dauphine engines were wrecked- i.e. basically good cars ruined so they couldn't be rebuilt- by Austin 7 speed freaks. I used to have a seven special myself but it was bizarre, especially when you could still buy new rods from various suppliers. I got an excellent virtually unused Gordini engine (minus rods) to hot up my 4CV from a fellow club member- oh the infamy.........

Hello Pieter

Hello Pieter,
thanks for the reply to my introduction. What a wonderful thing this Internet can be! As you say; another R4 fan in Melbourne! I often see a mid blue early model R4 on the red club plates and about 6 weeks ago I saw a cremy-white one going south on the Nepean Highway at Moorabbin. Was either of them you? Will send you a private message so we can get in touch.

Regards,
Peter

Back