Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Torrevieja Spain

Millennium4can

Enthusiast
Hello everybody and thanks for the wealth of information posted on this great forum. Anybody else a member here living in the torrevieja area? I see lots of R4s around and there is a great classic renault parts dealer only an hours drive away...

Ok so another job done brakes cylinders and bearings. Next up rocker cover gasket and oil change any advice??.......

Regarding the rocker cover, I can share a couple lessons learned the hard way. The gasket must sit squarely and evenly in its 'channel' when the cover is refitted, or you'll get a wash of fresh oil throughout the engine compartment after warm-up, or later when the engine is under load. Also, fit the proper washers to the rocker covers and don't tighten the nuts down so hard that they cause an impression into the cover itself.
I would never be so naive, of course, but the friend of a friend knew someone who made these amateur mistakes and told me about it :)

The rocker box gasket is a flexible plastic (neoprene?) and can often be re-used if it's not damaged. I ensured the gasket stayed in the recess by applying a few tiny blobs of silicon sealant as when replacing the rocker box, the gasket can fall down. Having cleaned and repainted the rocker box, DO replace it the right way around as correcting this mistake can scratch the nice silver paint on the wires and hoses which obstruct it. I also knew a friend of a friend....... ;-)

Awesome thanks for the reply people I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow if work allows.
P.s think we may all have a friend in common.

Welcome M4c,
Good Luck with your Quatrelle,

N.

P.S. very relieved that you escaped the worst of last weekend's rainstorm......

Well today I started by draining the oil no problem.... but then I got to removing the filter and it would not budge even with a strap wrench and a steel pole. eventually freed it and got called to work so onwards and upwards over the weekend.

As far as I can remember, there are two different thread sizes for the oil filter. The thread size should be written on the side of the oil filter

Back