Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help-anyone with a pre-69 R4!

angel

Enthusiast
Can anyone having a pre-69 R4 handy measure the distance between the stub axle carrier steering arm and the wheel rim? I'm trying to solve a wheel alignment puzzle on such a car.
2.jpg

Hello
44 mm on my 65 R4 with tubed rims also has the shorter drive shaft with external u j held in with roll pins
Hope this helps.

Thanks jonigel, it helped a lot...or didn't because I get roughly the same measurement, so the stub axle carrier shouldn't be at fault. My problem is that I have excessive toe out (20mm) and there is no margin for setting it correctly as the steering rack bushes are already screwed fully in. The complete front suspension and steering rack is correct for 7 deg. castor angle, which is important, and I'm puzzled of what could be wrong.
I will ask you for some more help, to make a rough measurement of the track arm length, center of the through bolt to center of ball joint pin. I bought them from Franzose to replace the later ones that had been fitted on the car. To me they look OK, they have the rake towards the front of the car , but they could be longer and upset the toe out. Any other help appreciated!

Hello
The track rod length is 225 mm center of bolt hole to pin. they also have a slight angle to the front, maybe it has a different rack, i can try to measure it later,i have an alloy rack to compare it with some where. The one on the car is the early type with the steel top cover.

Thanks, I'm going to measure the track rods on the car tomorrow.
It has the correct rack, too, with the steel cover and centering spring. Could it be that there were two different steering racks of the early type?
I also see that these track rods I bought are suitable for '64 to '69 model year, for earlier cars there is still another track rod. Does anybody know their difference?

The track rods I fitted on the car measure about 235mm centre to centre. At least I have somewhere to start now. Thanks jonigel!

Hello angel
I think your track rods are wrong, i have 3 cars here all with the same length one with a 3 speed box.
My manual lists the part no. as 981 9465 droite and 9464 gauche but i think it is superseded by 7701 450 480 and 479.
After 1969 the number changed to7701 450 588 gauche and 589 droite . these are also the same for the 5.
I have also measured all the ones i have and they all are the same lenght so i am not sure what the actual differance is.
You can buy all of these of Oscaro,they are not that expensive,hope this helps.

These I bought are supposed to be equivalent to 77 01 450 480 and 479, which should be the correct ones for this car. Later ('69-'79) are 225mm in length, too, but don't angle forwards and will not meet the steering arm on an early stub axle carrier, unless the steering rack end bush is abnormally strained.
I don't know about the difference between 9819464 / 65 and 77 01 450 479/480, maybe it has to do with ball joint taper diameter, or is simply a part number change?
I have emailed to Franzose, where I bought the track rods, and am waiting their reply.

Back