Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help! can someone advise my ignorance? sometimes when I turn my R4gtl off the engine splutters before ceasing.

Blaukslia

Enthusiast
It won't start. It's true, when I stopped yesterday, I turned ignition off when it was in gear and it stalled, which seemed to cause the problem. Then, when I tried to start again, all ignition lights illuminated but didn't turn over. Then, a click click click, and nothing, no lights, no anything. All guidence gratefully received

Check your battery terminal connections, starter motor connections and main earth to chassis? Whatever's happening, you're not getting enough electrical power through to the vital components. Hope it's a simple cure!

Check your battery terminal connections, starter motor connections and main earth to chassis? Whatever's happening, you're not getting enough electrical power through to the vital components. Hope it's a simple cure!

The "click, click" is the starter solenoid switching the battery power to the starter, but there's not enough electricity getting to the starter to turn it over. If the battery's in fine fettle, then the wiring would be the next place to go. I'd try and jump start the car; if this is successful it points to a battery on its last legs. A cold snap can kill off a battery that's been dying for some time, so better too replace it now, as opposed to when you're stuck at the roadside and it's bloody cold!

The "click, click" is the starter solenoid switching the battery power to the starter, but there's not enough electricity getting to the starter to turn it over. If the battery's in fine fettle, then the wiring would be the next place to go. I'd try and jump start the car; if this is successful it points to a battery on its last legs. A cold snap can kill off a battery that's been dying for some time, so better too replace it now, as opposed to when you're stuck at the roadside and it's bloody cold!
thank you, muchly

Back