Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help identify mystery trim part

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
I have found a mystery trim part in the 1967 car that is providing the interior for my project. It is made from wood (which has rotten away at one side), and is covered in the same colour vinyl as the seats, and is the same length as the rear seat, the front bench seat, and the parcel shelf. There are 4 press studs on one side and the other side is plain, and the underside has exposed staples so presumably is concealed. There are no other obvious fixings.

Has anyone seen one before? Seems strange to find a R4 part made from wood, so possibly it is from another car. The '67 parcel shelf is not attached to the rear seat, so possibly it is trim for some part of the parcel shelf?

Can anyone help identify the part? I'm sure it will become obvious when I come to fit parts, but I'm baffled at the moment.

• mystery-trim-part.jpg
    mystery-trim-part.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 110
Exiting Malcolm! No idea as to what it might be..Why do you think it has rotted away where it has? could have been where it touched an inner-bodypanel -or below window maybe? Lenght shows it must have been mounted transversal..Parcel shelf-edge so stuff won't fall off? Or maybe a padded baton to whack Mother-in-law on the beek whenever she starts driving from the rear-seat?? -R.

I suspect it has rotten after sitting in the boot for 30 years. Most of the rest of the car was also rotten. Strange though. I'll do a trial fit and see if I can identify any likely looking space to put it.

I looked in my 1965 parts book and it does not seem to appear anywhere. Neither on th 1975 parts book. Either it is a part fitted from 1966-1970 or it is handmade later.

Thanks for looking in the parts books. If it is a R4 part it must be '67 and '68 model years only. Looks professionally made (it has staples holding the vinyl). I think it must be from a different model of car.

I tried a trial fit of the interior and can't see a good place for it. Most likely an owner modification or from a different car.

Last edited:
Back