Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

HELP!! Key/ignition problem....

renaultlove

Enthusiast
Hi Clementine, yes I have another problem.... Drove happily to Northampton and back to Bedford. Parked my little car up, as normal. Went back to it couple of hours later and the key would not go in. After examining the key I could see no broken bits off the tip but the key itself would not go completely in. I tried over and over again and with another duplicate key. While doing this I moved the steering wheel backwards and forwards and it locked. This morning when I went back to the car the key went in but I cant turn the key (or the wheel from its locked position). Can you offer any help Clementine, oh wise one!!! Renaultlove

Although I'm not Clementine, I hope you don't mind if I try and answer this!!!! - I'm sure he won't mind:>)

Have you tried squirting a little WD40 into the lock? Work the key in and out a few times and gently try to get it to turn. You may need to wiggle the steering wheel a bit whilst you're doing this.

Sounds like a good diagnosis Steve - the levers in the lock sticking most likely (or if the heater doesn't work maybe the lock is iced up :eek:). The litle tube that comes with WD40 is handy for getting into the lock, and lots of wiggling with the key should help.

Let me know if that doesn't work - I have spare ignition barrel.

Wd40

HI and thanks for coming back to me. The first thing I did yesterday when the key did not go in was to run and get the WD40. I sprayed into the lock and the key. Unfortunately it did not have the desired effect. I have tried it a couple of times and it does not want to budge. I did not use it with the straw so maybe I can get more in there if I go and find it... I'll go searching and have another go and let u know tomorrow (i'll be desperate then). ps my heater is fine.

Keep us posted. So long as you are getting the WD40 right inside the lock you should be OK (there's a cover where the key goes in that you can hold open with a screwdriver to spray the stuff inside the actual lock). Those straws from the WD40 always get lost (noticed there are two straws with the newer cans so the manufaturers are aware of the problem :D).

I've taken the mad step of getting a job for the next couple of weeks, but should be around in the evenings if you get stuck.

R4 lock

I have had similar issues with several of my older renaults. It is a nuisance!

What you are going to face over time are worn brass pins wearing to the point where they rotate in their locating shafts. The springs will then push them into the chamber where you insert the key. They will then jam up the lock because the key cannot be inserted or turned. NO amount of ANY type of lubricant can stop that blockage.

Whatever you do you to fix this issue you will need to remove the lock and the electrical connections that piggy-back to it.

This task is achieved by removing the shroud that surrounds the lock. With the key in the ignition lock rotate the key until you can depress a brass/copper coloured plunger on the bottom of the lock barrel. It is clearly visible at the bottom of the shroud that surrounds the lock. Use a pin punch, jeweller's screwdriver, a nail, or other thin sturdy object. Use the partially inserted key to drag the assembly out.

At the same time look for the junction box that links the switch to the rest of the car's electics. Disconnect it (pull them apart). VOILA!

You now have the problem at hand and you have four choices.

OPTION 1. Buy a new lock. It is VERY expensive. Also your new key won't operate the door lock which probably works fine!

OPTION 2. Buy a second hand lock. Surely the problem won't happen again?!

OPTION 3. Undo the two long screws that hold the physical and electrical parts of the lock together. Carefully put the electrical part to one side. Remove the plastic strip that covers the pins in their locating chambers. Remove ofending pin and spring. PROBLEM SOLVED! Until, of course, the next pin erodes to send you back to do the same job. Reassembly is just the reverse. Just look out that the cross on both parts align. Sounds hard - pretty easy.

OPTION 4. Ditto, all of option 3, but remove all pins and springs. This is of course an act of bastardry. You now don't need a key! A screwdriver or any other key will now work!

Your choice!
Hope this helps you out.

David

Renault lock...

Thanks for that v detailed and interesting reply. Your 4 options sound spot on. I'll probably go for option 2 (ideally option 3) if my deep straw treatment does not work. At the moment she is being ignored as she's sitting outside covered in snow. Thank you.

Snowflakes

Everybody, can we get some good pictures of R4s in the snow for next year's Christmas card? I would do it myself but we don't get much snow in sunny Leeds. :wink:

Back