Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help Please!!

minisumner

Enthusiast
Please could someone help me find a decent R-4 GTL? There must still be some really good low mileage R-4 GTL's left out there somewhere in the UK!!

Within reason I am prepared to pay to get a good original low mileage R-4 GTL. However, I don’t mind a recently well restored example but it must have been to a very high standard and I will require photos and receipts to prove the standard of the work....

I would prefer this car to be a RHD car, can anyone help? I need to get a car sorted out ASAP.... HELP PLEASE...
Kind Regards
David.

Thanks

Hi Lobster,

Your GTL looks nice.

Please could you let me know what work (body Chassis) has been done, since you bought her and before you bought her? Also is the interior in good original condition?

Also the engine the original and has it had any work carried out on it i.e. non-leaded valve seats etc...

Since I am based in Chester and not too far from where you are, would it be possible to come over and look at your car?

Thanks
David.

I'll get some pictures up ASAP - hopefully today but over the weekend otherwise. I'll also stick a For Sale thread up here as well with as much info as I can think of and as much detail as possible.

As regards your questions though - the rear chassis has been properly repaired /replaced and not just patched up and is VERY solid but its something you'd need to see to properly appreciate as its difficult to describe. Suffice to say though that it is a very good, proper job!
I haven't had to touch it and its been MOT'd today and doesn't need anything doing aside from a bulb! Otherwise in terms of the bolt on stuff - its just had a new nsf wing, there are a couple of small marks but nothing particularly noticeable or significant. There are some tiny bubbles on the rear wings but nothing that has got any worse in the last twelve months - if I was keeping it then I'd probably get it done at some point in the future but its by no means urgent.

Engine - Had a new headgasket, water pump, temp switch and possibly some other bits which I will check. as far as I'm aware it hasn't had unleaded valve seats though whether they are needed is questionable unless you were doing a lot of high speed / motorway stuff.

Interior is original and immaculate. No rips, tears or anything. Even has period radio cassette! Has rear seatbelts as well.

Definately come and have a look. I can't be 100% certain when I am available this weekend as baby Lobster #2 is very much imminent but Monday should be ok. Possibly tomorrow. Not sure about Sunday yet.

Its currently at the MOT station - needed a bulb and handbrake cables for MOT - I should be collecting it later today all being well. Waiting for it to be ready then I'll get some pictures taken!

Just to add, I won't be picking it up until Tuesday now - cables didn't arrive 'til fairly late in the day... So proper pictures and everything will follow on Tuesday! I did take a few underneath pictures whilst it was in the air so I'll download them from my phone and see if they are any good.

Hi Lobster Looks good!

Hi Lobster,

Thanks for the update and good luck with the new arrival…

I will certainly appreciate any further information that you might have on your little Red Beastie… especially the photos of the underside and other photos you might have. However, it would be really good to know what work has been done on the chassis and also if there are any receipts for any of this or any other restoration work that has been carried out?

I noticed the rust on the rear quarter, on MWC, is this only on the one side only? I recollect that my R-4 GTL had a small amount of rust on one side which was between the two panels. This meant that I had to take the wing off and replace the bottom panel, then let new metal into the upper panel. This was not a problem but it’s better to catch it early than let it become an issue.

Do you have any history documents that will come with C112 MWC? By this I mean old MOT’s, old service records and receipts for any work that has been undertaken. I have read your blogs on the forum, which clearly shows that you have comprehensively maintained MWC.

With regards to running and living with a R4 I have some experience of this as I have had a few over the years. However, it would be good to know if you have any spares that are likely to come with MWC? I noticed your article on the nonstandard wheels, so it would be good to know if these wheels are also included in the sale.

With regards to the interior of MWC it’s nice to see she has the nice looking grey seats in. It was also good to hear that they are still in sound/good condition. Please could you let me know if any of the door cards have been drilled for speakers? Also is the original rear parcel shelf still in good condition? I am only asking this as you mentioned that there is a standard/period radio fitted, I know that on my old GTL the speaker was located in the central HVAC unit, which I believe was an OEM fitment. Lastly, does MWC still have her front and rear/boot original rubber floor covers, as I believe these are getting difficult to get a hold of?

I would still very much like to come over and see MWC, will next Tuesday 10th April be ok, say in the afternoon?

Thanks for all your help Lobster.

Kind Regards
David

Back