Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi Im new.....:)

Welcome to the forum R4T.

Your Renault 4 turbo looks amazing http://www.retro-renault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235 (I'm guessing this is you). It's a really nice conversion. And is that a nitro cylinder in the luggage compartment?

So what sort of performance figures do you get out of the car? I noticed the car is road registered but there is no passenger seat. What do you use the car for - mostly drag racing or do you have some fun on the road too? I took my standard GTL drag racing - 21.6 seconds for a quarter mile! Should imagine you would beat that....

:clementi:

Clementine said:
Welcome to the forum R4T.

Your Renault 4 turbo looks amazing http://www.retro-renault.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235 (I'm guessing this is you). It's a really nice conversion. And is that a nitro cylinder in the luggage compartment?

So what sort of performance figures do you get out of the car? I noticed the car is road registered but there is no passenger seat. What do you use the car for - mostly drag racing or do you have some fun on the road too? I took my standard GTL drag racing - 21.6 seconds for a quarter mile! Should imagine you would beat that....

:clementi:

Yes your right. The cars does have a passanger seat, but I take it out for the 1/4mile dash. I use the car 2 days of the week to go to work.

The car dosnt have NOS or Nitro, the cylinder that you see in the back of the car is a Liquid CO2 System that works to freez the intercooler before the 1/4 launch.

My best time so far is 13.557 at an altitud of 2600 meters. This means that at sea level the car can do 12.5 aprox easy.!! :cool:

On this link, you will be able to see some more pics and all the specs!!

http://www.rtoc.org/members/member.asp?memberid=11363

That car looks absolutely brutal! It must be a thrill to drive around town and leave the Golf's behind :) Must have cost you a fortune!

I'm a bit of a R4 illiterate, so i have to ask - That 1400cc engine you've built on, is that original R4? I thought 1100cc was the biggest block.

Do you use the original clutch and gear box?

Hi Cuno,

The car on the street will beat a Subaru WRX and Audis S3 & S4 (I have beat them in more than one ocation).

There in Colombia they made the R4 with 1300cc during the years 90 & 91. So what we did was use that original R4 block and change crack shaft and the pistons to 1400cc.

The car has the original clutch (but made in bronze), gear box (4 gears) & axels.

Wow! What an incredible machine! Respect, esprcially for the clean and well-organised engine bay... :shock: :)

Have you had the original wheel hubs drilled to the 4-bolt pattern, or are the entire hubs adapted from another car? Are they 4x100mm?

BTW, do you have any more detailed info on the Colombian 1300cc R4s? Technical code (the "R112?" code), exact engine displacement, engine code, bhp etc. Or any links to sites with more info on these '90-'91 1300cc R4s? I've tried to search trough Google several times, but with no luck.

The reason I'm asking is that here in Finland there are strict rules about fitting a bigger and more powerful engine to a car. We're allowed to fit an engine that's 20% bigger, 20% more powerful and 10% heavier than the largest available "reference engine" fitted to a particular car model by the manufacturer originally. Anything bigger or more powerful than that, and we'll have to apply for a (costly) special approval with detailed sctructural calculations etc.

The biggest R4 "reference" engine recognized by the authorities (or Renault network) here in Europe is the trusty old 1108cc with 34 bhp. That means that in Finland the biggest replacement engine allowed without any special approvals would be a 1330cc (= +20%) and 40,8 bhp (= +20%) lump. Which means even the lowest spec 1397cc / 60 bhp version from e.g. the Renault 9 is out of the question. :(

But if we had proof that an original, factory-made 1300cc (1289cc?) version exists, then we'd be allowed to fit up to about 1550cc engines "with no questions asked". ;)

However, the good thing about our engine replacement legislation is that once approved & MOT'd, any further "normal" tuning of the replacement engine is allowed. That means that nothing would then prohibit us from fitting e.g. the 1397cc / 60bhp C1J engine with a cross-flow Alpine/Gordini head, twin Weber 40 DCOEs, headers etc... :cool:
("Normal tuning" DOES exclude fundamental changes to an engine like 8-valve to 16-valve conversions, fitting of a turbo etc.)

I have been trying to find a digital manual or more info on the web about that motor. The 1.300cc R4 here in Colombia was called: Renault 4 Lider In this link they mention it very briefly:

http://www.geocities.com/renaultoriginal/colombia/1986-2001/19862001.htm

I have already gone in to two different Colombian Forums and asked for more info. as soon as I get it I will start to send it to you.

R4T said:
I have already gone in to two different Colombian Forums and asked for more info. as soon as I get it I will start to send it to you.
That's great, thank you! :D

Back