Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi

french connection

Enthusiast
Joined today. We bought a 1990 R4TL Savane to leave at our place in France. Originally saw it on ebay and did a deal with the English guy who owned it when it failed to meet reserve ( we paid 900 euros). The car is called MOLLY .It was still a long way from our place though and we took a slow drive back as it had not been serviced for a while. No problems at all on the journey.It came with 2 years CT ( french MOT) with only a couple of advisories. Can I ask please if anyone has a front seat ( just the frame and webbing, the cover is OK on ours). We live in Birmingham if that helps but the car is in Gers ( Dept 32 ) France. As expected, there are loads of R4's in France and they have an excellent reputation. Have yet to find a French scrap yard near where we are in France but will go looking in earnest now we have a car.. Also need the little three pointed screw fixing for the bracket to secure the rear seat and reversing light lens. The seal on the rear hatch is worn, does anyone know if they are still available. ( my UK Renault dealer is not very sympathetic ! ). Are the wheel bearings adjustable as it looks like some movement is present on both front wheels. Excellent site, we used info from it to check out the car before we purchased it.Sally and Ed Davis

Welcome to the wonderful world of Renault 4s. Was it Martin's car you bought?

I can probably help you with spares (apart possibly from reversing lights) if you ever pass by the Bedford area, though others might post. You can probably pick up parts in better condition in French scrapyards.

Tailgate seals I'm not sure about. The upper part is the same as the door seal but not sure about the lower. Whitehouse Renault in Tumbridge Wells will be helpful (and they post parts too). You might want to buy some new wheel bearings too - the front ones are not adjustable.

First, check that the play in the front hubs is not ball joint wear. If the joints are ok then check the tightness of the drive shaft nuts. If there is still a minute amount of play there play in the bearings, then leave well alone unless a MOT tester deems it a failure. We normally only replece the bearings when they become noisy!

Many thanks Clementine and Steve. We bought the car from a man called Charles who lived in a little village in Caunay, Poitou-Charentes ( Dept 79). Going back to France in a few weeks so will check out the wheel bearings. Thanks again for all you help. Sally and Ed

...Molly...

..Sally and Ed

Dont forget to post up some pictures of Molly at home in France...Always nice to see them at 'home'

Ian S

• MIPIM teams.jpg 1.jpg
    MIPIM teams.jpg 1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124
Back