Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Historic rallying in a Renault 4

722stu

Enthusiast
Hi,

Let me introduce myself, and a 1968 Renault 4 I've had for a year or so now.

I bought it to go historic rallying: I entered a couple of events last year in the Clubmans Rally Championship of the Historic Rally Car Register, and now all set for the 2007 season.

By my reconing the car makes a terrific regularity car: light, agile, bags of ground clearance and front wheel drive for muck and ice. I'm probably not going to be winning on the basis that 845cc and 3 gears isn't going to set the fastest times on timed stages, but that's not the point - it's a great car for learning the ropes and getting involved.

Renospeed have been top in keeping the car in good fettle: it's a rally car after all, so it's not going to win concours prizes, but mechanically it's completely sound.

Planning a drive to Paris and Retromobile on Sat February 17th (...if anyone's going get in touch) in search of weird and wonderful parts (I've a hankering for an original 60s sunroof).

Stuart

• devonian rally.JPG
    devonian rally.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 131
Looks excellent. Even is you don't beat the tuned up Minis in a sprint you;ve still got the coolest rally car.

There's a lot of precident - the French are big on the Renault 4 for their R4 Trophy, and there have been 4s in the RAC rally (last place) and the Dackar (closer to first place probably as you can be fairly sure you won't retire).

It's a cool rally car. For the sunroof I'd guess an angle grinder and a French scrapayard would be a good combination - they are rare over here.

Is this just a time trial/race or is it a get together as well? The reason I ask is that I would love to go to a get together like this, but I am not so sure that I want to beat my car up much!

I think the drive to Paris for a weekend to look at the Retromobile show is just that - If anyone is going or wants to go then a convoy with Stuart might be fun.

Retromobile

Hi, if anyone is going to Retromobile this Saturday I'm meeting Derek (Renospeed) at the Renault stand for 3pm - Blue jeans, black Belstaff jacket. Be good to catch up with any other R4 fans...

Stu

Back