Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hockey Stick removal to replace rubber seals

AndyMcDonnell

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone, I’m New to group and the Renault 4, am I missing a trick on the hockey stick removal? There are 2 bolts at right angles to each other above the engine, I have these out but get less than 20 degrees of rotation or 2mm of separation when pulling apart - what am I doing wrong or missing? Can’t find any easy link online after an hour of searching. Any help gratefully received

They've probably been over tightened and squished the tube. Maybe spray a bit of penetrating oil in the join to make it move easier then twist the gearstick all the way around by force to try to push out the dents before trying to work it out. Worth bearing in mind the force is reacted by the stick coming out of the gearbox. A bit of wood jammed in would reduce the force on that.

Thanks for the advice, didn’t want to get all heavy handed but was thinking of twisting the gear knob right round.did not think about off setting the torque against the gear stick though. I grab a lump of wood and try that tomorrow.

Finally got round to it. Used some snipe nose mole grips locked on the gear stick and wedged the handle on the top LH radiator support strut. Quite a lot of pressure anti-clockwise and the gear handle moved. Changed seals, a total giggled - I wonder how it was done on mass production in the factory? Below I show 2 photos of attempting to press the new plastic bush to the new rubber seal. Note the socket and oil filter removal tool are exact (correct size) and the press is square. You would think it would press in - look how far together they are clamped. However, as I unwind the workmate the bush just comes out. The only way I could manage was following the online advice of a small flat screw driver blade and some swan necks - unbelievable, 2 hours of my life I won’t get back

IMG_9446.jpeg IMG_9447.jpeg

Next time remember to dip the rubber part in boiling water for a couple of minutes. You will be amazed by how much softer does it get.

Back