Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Homegrown Garage The Old One -62

Homegrown

Enthusiast
This came with the first shipment of cars to Sweden and are now the oldest still in our register. I’m second owner since some years.
First owner Sven Wimnell was an eccentric architect who ordered it directly as it was displayed in Sweden meanwhile his workmates drow Porsches and such.
He bought the car when he was working on the early Arlanda Airport as an architect. 35 years old he fell in love with the revolutionary design of the versatile R4.
He used it as his companion all day after until reparations couldn’t keep it up and running. The car replacing the R4 was of course another R4 but from 1972 (a old car when replacing its successor).
When he was 90+ years both cars had been standing in his woodsy garden close to his 50, 60-ies design house with a sea view.
The old one given up due to no one wanted to repair and maintain car for him.
1972 car had accident with dislocated front wheel and twisted front beam.
I saw the add on both cars and said I take them both. They became R4 #3 and #4 in my stable.
Some pictures from it’s prime and fall.

8ADC2FF8-FBAB-4CAA-8F57-106E76F7CD37.jpeg 8F358A13-77DA-4E07-A613-E497A60C0A16.jpeg 28020266-AEAA-4E46-9821-2A66DB384DB8.jpeg D0980240-1CDD-4B0C-B84F-004F1A361B20.jpeg 8CC970B6-F7AC-4D08-91A9-7715BC5493EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't Sweden drive on the LEFT (like the United Kingdom & Ireland) until 1970? I'm sure I remember it was the last country on the continent of Europe/Scandinavia to change to driving on the right.

“Högertrafikomläggningen, of course! That's the day, September 3, 1967, that Swedes switched from driving on the left side of the road to driving on the right side. Most cars in Sweden already had their steering wheels on the left side, anyway, so the change made turning and passing much safer for everyone.Sep 3, 2017”
New info to me, still learning every day..

Högertrafikomläggningen-what a BRILLIANT word! I shall be attempting to pronounce it this evening! A few beers might (won't!) help....

Right-hand drive transition, four words in English just one in Swedish.
Swedish language is a bit tricky cos we have a mix from different languages.
Scanindinavian mix with german, french and now english. And a lot of English words come from the vikings.
We can understand a lot of Nederland language but impossible to write or speak.
Our English is a mix British, American, Australian. Car term are different in these countries but we don’t know which is which. Hood/bonnet, sump/oil pan etc etc. That’s why we sometimes maybe hard to understand.

Last edited:
Back