Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Homegrown Garage White One -72

Homegrown

Enthusiast
She is from 1972 R1123.
I'm the third owner of this lady and hopefully she soon is on the roads again. All her life she spent on salt free roads in maritime environment.
First owner lived on mainland in Öregrund he get her 1972-08-07 and used her until 1984 second owner brought her to island Gräsö a ferry away from Öregrund 2006-08-30. Car haven't been registered since 1984 but used as a daily driver on the island anyway. Due to bad maintenance timing chain and sprockets worn out. The old man on the island bought a spare car to take engine from and bought a migwelder to bring back life in the car. Sadly he got health issues with balance problems and shaking hand so renovation halted. Both cars was half demounted, the lady was in a tent in the garden and spare parts car stood under an apple tree and had done so for several years.
When I saw the advertise about the car and the spare car I called owner immediately, only 50km away I drove to the island next morning. I always bring my first aid kit for cars when I check car I might buy. Hand tools,hammers, oil can ,compressor ,jack, lighting, battery etc etc.
After a thorough examination of the cars and some price negotiation we make a deal l bought both cars and the migwelder from him and pick cars up when spring comes to Sweden. All this took place 2015-11-19 (dark cold winter month) warm clothes and lots of coffee kept spirit up. Goal was to make pick up much easier. Remount steering racks, make sized brakes come lose get spare parts car up from lawn (even light cars sink when years passing).
From early morning until evening I prepare for transportation next spring. When I left Island both cars was on wheels not sized, air in the tyres and all lose parts inside the cars. I brought as much as possible with me on my way home (migwelder and parts that was in buckets and boxes and of course all tools and stuff I brought for pick up.
The spare parts car living under the apple three are known as Green One.
Those were my first Renaults I own, later a bought two more from an eccentric architect and so on.
I think all this stupidness started in my brain when our family had a battered Renault 6 in my pre teens. (Very fun to drive in the woods and gravel roads). My uncle also put fire on the Renault interest owning and renovating R5,R8 and Dauffines.
Anyway l will give her some attention, we will see how far we come (have other brands also want same attention).

Last edited:
Spring 2016 it was time to pick up cars after snow melt away. A know I had to do two passes to get both cars home from the island Gräsö, a total of 200km and four ferry trips. This day my lovely wife Jin comes along as company, food responsible and third and fourth hand.
Same first aid kit for cars was brought as last trip, but after the good preparation of cars when I bought them only the compressor was needed to get some fresh air in tyres with air leaks. Tight timeframe makes everything must go quick and as planned. The White One was soon on the trailer strapped down and ready to go. Kept preparing for the Green One to get it easy on the trailer next pass knowing it will be dark as night when we get back later in the evening. Coffee and sandwich is fuel on the island and food prepared from Jin we eat on the ferries. Quickly home unload the car and the same again but in the dark. After a very long day both cars is on my driveway.
The very next morning I check what I had bought late last year. Both White One and Green One needs both mechanical and welding treatment. Green One I decide is easier to repair, so she goes first making White One have to wait and also leave some spares too the Green One.
Some weeks ago I decide that it's time for the the White One, just need to take out a sized engine out of my Peugeot 204 Coupe quickly first and switch places on the cars. Winter strikes back, we got 40cm (16") snow in one day. So miss Peugeot stayed inside in the warm garage until yesterday.
After sitting six years on my driveway right hand front brake was stuck again. After some hard work drum was of and sorted. Time for car teatris. Pull Porsche out, Peugeot out of garage, Renault R4 in to garage, Peugeot pushed to Renaults place and push Porsche back. If my property was on a flat spot this have been done quickly, that said my area is sloping.

7E371DAD-41CB-4373-83C3-6F09AD5BCADA.jpeg 9EDE9270-16A2-4FE5-AA50-4B966548325B.jpeg 3A517286-4D11-4AC5-A3CB-3FDA2759E085.jpeg 0906DEE2-25FB-41DC-B070-CA8EF0C24300.jpeg F5C67FB8-D7D3-4D97-883B-20787211DAE2.jpeg D265167E-434D-492A-8D1A-58C3E6A62E71.jpeg

Relaxing in garage first time since the 80-ish she seem happy. All doors and hatches was left open during the night, I think it was already dry inside out due to highpressure whether last week (freezing cold at nights and sunny days with some plus degrees soak up all water extremely well).
Started morning with emptying the car completely and sorting parts in boxes. Apparently rust holes in the chassis were big enough to let a bird inside and trapp it there. When I bought car it was rats nest inside that cavity with a non describable smell (excrements and debris) so six years ago I pressure washed her in all cavities. Now she smells health and nice. All seats are in very good nick so have to store them somewhere.
All nuts, bolts, pipes etc gets oil, steel brush, oil treatment. After done that inside out I start remove doors all goes like clockwork (undo nutt jiggle lift door. Next) until some have replaced lower door hinge pin with a brass screw and steel locknut. With a 70cm screwdriver I might have managed the task but I have to give up after all ticks I have was emptied. Air grinder open the nut then it was just to dismantle.
Engine, gearbox, driveshaft, cooling system, and steering rack I already removed when she got under my custody. Removing wings and inner wings. Left hand side fender rusted away like the top off inner fender (repaireble) right hand side much better still need some welding.
Though beak lines seems to be cupper I'm very delicate when removing them,oil, heat. Have learned during the years it's easy to destroy the hex on the nipple. Instead of using ordinary tool I use a WiseGrip welding plyer. If this don't do the trick I cut the line close to the nipple and put on a Hex socket. All lines I needed to open up yesterday the WiseGrip was enough.
Next undo all bolts holding the body to chassis some easy, some needed more attention. All in all they come loose.
Several years I have been a passive reader on this board and learned some tricks howe things could be done.
I rigg my engine crane to lift in a piece of wood at the b-pillars and a jack in the rear. Leaving it under light lift "pressure" under time. Start prying the joint gently add more lift etc. Had gap all around but still something was fighting back, it was the mud flap bars in the rear I had missed. Lift tiny more and undo fuel level cable.
A lot of positives and some negatives.
Not rust free but most areas are solid, almost all nut and bolt etc can be reused, interior very good nick.
Electric harness hard to dismantle where cut by previous owner, were rust protection have been applied correctly everything is fine but pieces that missed the treatment are rusted away.
Only big hiccup was due too medication I eat prior operation make blood not coagulate, if I start bleeding I keep bleeding. Apparently I had made tiny hole in my finger inside my glove resulting in blood filled glove. Normally it would just be tiny scar after washing your hand.
Car is in two big pieces now and happy with the days result.

67C38BF2-5A58-49E7-B596-D58909511ACF.jpeg 8BAA0401-447E-45A8-9A67-F628F3926FDB.jpeg AD2E19D4-7B0C-4F64-8933-11D8FB82F4DD.jpeg 3897FA37-7989-4ABD-BCC4-7AB58DB2AD7C.jpeg 0A2422CE-764C-47B7-82D2-2748BDD0FB89.jpeg E5C46BB9-F390-4B28-BD86-3A37721B6499.jpeg 3EE62B28-172E-4A2E-BB5C-44588883DE2F.jpeg

Nice big engine crane!

I guess the 2-post lift visible in your garage hasn't been installed yet?

Nice big engine crane!

I guess the 2-post lift visible in your garage hasn't been installed yet?
Yes crane is very versatile use it a lot and don’t take much space folded together.
Here in Sweden they are cheap both new and second hand.
You can actually see three 2-post lifts in the picture. At least two of them i will install in the workshop. Hopefully all three. (Sometimes i wish I was normal and just had two or three cars spending time and cash on).
My insanity makes me buy three good quality European lifts that all need some attention instead of on good chines post lift that just work great directly.

FE7B9017-D5A7-4D45-A6DD-954617C5B48D.jpeg

That looks beautiful! Where is green one though?
Mostly it’s in good nick but areas where it’s bad it’s really bad.
Green One got to an hold like a lot in my life when Russia went into Ukraine
Sweden and Finlands position is very much like Ukraines. I did my military service i north of Sweden above polar circle. Officially we were neautral but we only prepared to fight Russian invasion together with Finland. All this was during call war era.
This have taken some energy and are also preparing for minor heart surgery soon with medication my body dislikes.
Power plant from my Peugoet 204 have been removed and dismantled and now White One soon in parts so I start repair chassis.
Green One will soon get attention again, want to have it as a daily driver this summer.

If you got a lot of cool parts laying around in the workshop it's easy to get crazy ideas.
Maybe build tubeframe with integrated rollcage,some F3 inspired wishbone suspension put in my Honda 1000cc bike engine. Slam it to the ground. 200hp sequential gears 600kg heaps of grip and brakes all in a almost factory looking R4.

Everything goes so quickly in the fantasy

Noo I keep repairing chassis Hehehhe

52F3340F-1F9A-42A6-B4A0-F36A815EDAEB.jpeg F4C687D0-BE32-44DF-A666-9993B24693E1.jpeg E1877BBC-E86A-4130-BE5D-86D104149AE0.jpeg

Keep disensambly frame for thorough inspection.
Were rust protection have been applied correctly chassis are solid or semi solids and places that didn't get the treat meant it's airy more hole then solid thin.
Rear dampers looks like crap but before bin them maybe test if there is any damping left. They felt like new dampers in both compression and rebound in its full length, hmmmmmmm. Normally when they look like the they are done,
Several years ago I bought DeCarbon dampers that was supposed to be for R4 with helper spring in the front. Dimentionwise the seem not correct, propably for some other car and seller had bought big stock of old dampers. Anyhow rear dampers have no:70094585A CJ29 maybe we have some with knowledge about this on our fantastic forum.

E28DBBE0-9E5D-4C47-87F0-08AD9767149B.jpeg 1FBDE1DB-0EF1-42BF-B781-BAD1F63D3EDF.jpeg 6214D529-0575-4F90-915D-69708890F175.jpeg 95A1E361-0F32-43C4-A56C-29E74FBA1982.jpeg 8304F217-20FF-483B-8A98-DA468B7A764C.jpeg

Keep working with slow progress.
My welding garage is occupied with a Skoda Fabia that needed some attention. Try to get it together so I can get chassis in there for welding.
Have been scraping inside of floorpan from sound deathening /rust protection.
Don’t know if it’s only for swedish market but it looks as if they have used some liters of this material just poured in from a bucket. So a lot of the rust in the front floor pan was just surface rust under the sound deathening.
Demount all brake pipes from chassis sofar all pipes intakt.
Good qualit copper pipes from factory will be cleaned and reused. Get worn nipples replaced where necessary.
Most nuts and bolts coming loose with heating, oil and steel brush.

B6FA5153-287A-4A34-BDC4-F39995B5F6A7.jpeg 4FD05F0E-DD87-4079-BC73-F9C70E5169DC.jpeg 61AAB1AC-2955-45B9-8116-875AF6497683.jpeg

If you got a lot of cool parts laying around in the workshop it's easy to get crazy ideas.
Maybe build tubeframe with integrated rollcage,some F3 inspired wishbone suspension put in my Honda 1000cc bike engine. Slam it to the ground. 200hp sequential gears 600kg heaps of grip and brakes all in a almost factory looking R4.

Everything goes so quickly in the fantasy

Noo I keep repairing chassis Hehehhe

View attachment 30036 View attachment 30037 View attachment 30038
Oh, lucky you having a 70's Porcshe also in the garage and a R8 blue grill on shelf above Porsche.

Have to build something so I can handle the R4 body easily in the garage and if I need to move it elsewhere it should no big task.
Have an idea of what I want, so start check my options on my shelves to fulfill that.
Need some timber, wheels, screws and washers.
Timber frame construction gona be a semi ridgid structure on three wheels (three pickup points means body get no torsional stress even on really bad floors) , also want frame to protrude under the door sills.
Find some 100x40mm that is long enough, don't have three wheels on same size but find two fixed small wheels and a bigger pivot wheel. Find some screws as well.
Makes frame from four pieces 190cm long. Build it square upside down with inside measures 130cm between the standing frames second frames lay down and possisionated under A respective C-pillar. Due to different wheel sizes I have to make a kick-up for the pivot wheel. Keep messuring so it's square when I screw it together.
Turn it around so it gets on the wheels and lift it up under the body hanging in the crane. Make pick up points and lower body down adjust so it's were I want it, eight screws clamps body to frame. Jiggle crane away and get construction down to garage floor.
Eureka seems to do what I want. Easy to move around, protected and six ridgid liftpoint protruding enough for manual lift.
Took full day of thinkering and collecting pieces I needed. Built from leftovers nothing bought. Lots of the thinkering got distracted when my brain start ( mid engine, full cage, etc etc)

D85A4ECE-7D37-441B-8DB4-B4900497E821.jpeg 25F1974B-1E4C-467D-9827-AB4E3F4E0CAF.jpeg

Got help from oldest son and some of his friends to move bodywork for outside storage while I work on chassis.
Very easy work on four persons. Lift it up, put it on wood blocks. Fenders go inside, and all doors hanged back to prevent damage.
Early next week they say we got snow again.

E5EB02F6-909A-421C-8BDC-62D36C1762E5.jpeg 54E86879-7577-4E66-89E5-E829C6E5DE10.jpeg

Got help from oldest son and some of his friends to move bodywork for outside storage while I work on chassis.
Very easy work on four persons. Lift it up, put it on wood blocks. Fenders go inside, and all doors hanged back to prevent damage.
Early next week they say we got snow again.

View attachment 30149 View attachment 30150
Lovely van!!

This is one the thinks that I love on the 4L, the upper part moves "easily" from the chassi..

Some days ago i tilted chassis on the side to get access to the underside to check for rust and how much that’s need replacement. At first glance it’s fairly rust free ( I know when I start cut and grind there will be much more then it looks).
Limited areas at all four corners needs to be repaired, especially left hand rear including frame leg also right hand frame is weakened due to rust.
Need to take it easy a week or two cos my body is not up to heavy work. So I try to prepare so I can get a flow again when I recover.
There is two gussets in the floor pan that I can’t see what purpose they have. Seems to be only plastic knobs holding rubber mat inside, or is there any other function that I can’t see?

92EB0ACF-BE84-4735-8718-1AE9D9F649FD.jpeg BD7A088C-1FC0-4303-84A3-863DCC34A66C.jpeg 0F95768A-4359-41B8-B816-9A993FAAD8F8.jpeg 29D348E5-E96B-4218-8CC3-BCEC960AFAA4.jpeg

Have kept working on chassis today, slow and light work due to my body.
Prepare nuts and bolt in front and rear suspension clean threads with wire brush and oil treatment.
Cleared my welding garage so I could prepare to sort up rust situation.
Moved chassis up from my big garage to the smaller on my plot that I use for welding and other mechanical build ups.
That garage have l medium lathe, big drillpress with coordinate table, two bench grinders with different discs, two old but high quality mig welders both threephase, big sandblasting cabinet, tiny bandsaw, plasma cutter there is a cold area in the same garage where air compressor, rollbeader and a cabinet for glassbeading.
Start wire brush a bit with my angle grinder and front end of the floor looks better than on the GreenOne. Have to order some rust eater, weld primer etc, etc so I can start rust repair.

F4532949-F460-4645-98FD-85BC68F23A21.jpeg C8D31445-DEAD-418E-845B-91DA66C7626B.jpeg FECD2E9E-CC5B-4C2F-A3E6-EF4AF18F967D.jpeg

Not so much have been done on the Renault
My body start to be back in business so I can do some serious work again. Summer is approaching Sweden so have to take care of garden, promised my wife to build greenhouse of my old car tent moving plants an other gardening stuff. It's also season for Porsche driving so my 911-72 Targa got some planished valve covers and gaskets as well as rebuilt carburettors, still need more attention. Have owned it for 15 years and last year was first time I got MOT done.
Been on a really nice car parts market, it's a yearly market but due to Corona it was three year since last time. Lots of seller with plenty of parts and tools, som my oldest son pick me up early 5:00 and we went to the swap meet armed with coffee, sandwich and cash. Arriving half an hour later we are among the first there. We where traiding parts and tools until 13:00. Hungry and happy we going home after 11km walking and crazy nice shopping.
The guy I bought the Geolettets from had still some NOS Renault parts fore sale so I bought front R4 drums.
I also put a big order at Autodoc they had 40% discount due to companie birthday. Think I bought to much chassis bushing, Ajusa gasket set, water pump, brake lines etc.
Now I have to keep gardening and build greenhouse for my wife

F53C9367-4008-4B4B-BEE2-8A0CE89B45D9.jpeg EDD5F68B-485D-4B30-B76D-035BE416C99D.jpeg FB242BFC-7C6B-4FDF-A88B-69CA8AAB5951.jpeg

Long time no see!
Been busy with everything except my Renaults this summer, my plan was to have the Green One as a daily driver and fixing with the White One.
I also had plan to have my 911 targa as a daily. And she had been fighting to get most of my time, she had needed ridicules attention. She had been sitting for fifteen years so gone throu fuelsystem several times. Dismantle carburettors three times. In September she start behaving ok.
My wife wanted a greenhouse so I had to build her one. Made it from my old tent garage. Reused the frame and welded on some predrilled flat iron and angles I plasma cut from old machine cabinet. Added some wood frame and clad it in build plastic. A lot of labour but almost for free. Have been great and still is (even if we live in north), now it's full of chilli waiting to mature, hopefully they get red before we need to harvest. Happy wife happy life I have heard.
Also installed insulated glased door in the livingroom instead of a window (outside not finished yet). Bought some more machines to my garages and been tidying up my garages that had been neglected last years due to health problems.
I have a one car garage on my plot that have been "trash room" where everything that have no certain place ends up. Now almost cleared so one car can be stored there.
Plan for welding/machining garage is that it should be unoccupied so I can put in a car for welding whenever. Everything start getting it's place now. Tried to get as much as possible on the walls. In bottom I tilted White Ones chassis against the wall.
Winter comes quickly to Sweden so hopefully I manage to do everything needed.
Renault plan for this winter is to wake up my R8 Major that have been standing for twenty + years. Will be new in thread. Hopefully finish Green One. All this is competing with energy prices (can afford have heating in garage) and other cars that also need attention.

14E4C0D3-9A27-4DA9-9AB9-7CDAD3EA4E9D.jpeg 8831DBFA-CF37-4805-8D21-A60BCC1B4D2A.jpeg C97A11AC-5B25-49B7-A4EB-BBD4EDC82A56.jpeg DDE6B78B-8430-4EF5-8DE9-E8F825EA6C9A.jpeg 57C1FFD0-1F3E-4DA2-96FB-A0DBD6464DC8.jpeg 0250EE56-0A1D-479F-9CE0-ED8618B6EB63.jpeg 744C772A-3B62-46FC-81ED-EF22F2BFD9DD.jpeg 84BB8567-99C4-4AE8-9A87-56B5F18D5ADC.jpeg

Last edited:
Back